Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

Schedule start BackupCopyJob every 12H

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello,
I'd like to know if it's possible to schedule the start of a BackupCopyJob every 12H, so I can make the copy of the two Backups that I make every day of some servers.

Currently the CopyJob works fine, but I start manually this Job before to start the Backup Job that's do referring to.
But if you had to restart the Veeam Server, what would happen? Starts with wrong 12 H periods...

Enough to configure the "Schedule", deactivating the time (Hour) before it should start?

Thanks in advance.
kind regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Schedule start BackupCopyJob every 12H

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It sounds like you just need to switch to using the Immediate Copy mode (new in v10)? This will copy both of your daily backups. Thanks!
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Thanks a lot.
I wanted to try this too, but in order not to do the Job again, I was looking for another solution.
However, I think this is the BEST SOLUTION and the EASIEST to manage.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Just another question about the CopyJob.
When best pratice to use "Immediate" Copy mode and when the traditional "Periodic copy"?
Because I see that in the Job Running list, I normally have only one process per Job, while in the case of the "Immediate" I've many jobs as there are the servers that are copied by the CopyJob.

Thanks again
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gianluca,

For instance, the clear and short explanation of criteria for choosing backup copy mode is provided on this page of our best practices guide, please take a look and let us know if you have some questions.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

If you want ALL your backups copied off-site, then you need to use the Immediate mode. For example, you do two backups per day and want both of them copied off-site, which is a perfect use case.

If you want only some backups copied off-site, then you should use the Periodic mode. For example, if you did four backups per day and wanted only one daily backup offsite. This approach helps to save bandwidth and off-site disk space. For example, customers with limited bandwidth do daily backups on-prem, and only one weekly backup off-site (because it takes a few days).
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

So it doesn't depend on the number of Servers per Job, but more than anything else on how many times a Backup is performed during the day, which then has to be copied to a second Storage.
Just as it isn't important if multiple Backup Jobs are placed in a single CopyJob.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Well, unlike immediate mode, periodic mode does allow for copying restore points of individual machines from the entire source job, so the number of servers in it might matter.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

OK, thanks