Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
digitlman
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Scheduled backup - something looks wrong - v7

Post by digitlman »

I have a vm backup job set as reverse incr with synth fulls.

I have the schedule set to make a backup daily on Tuesdays. The vm retention is set for only 1 point. No CBT on this vm.

Early in the afternoon, I made a manual full, and of the 50G, it transferred 8G to the VBK file.

In looking at the logs for the schedule job that evening, it shows of the 50G it processed, it only transferred 516MB.

When I look in the target backup dir, however, there is an 8G VBK file.

So, if it did a synth full...what am I missing here?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Scheduled backup - something looks wrong - v7

Post by foggy »

I'm not sure I fully understand your job settings:
digitlman wrote:I have a vm backup job set as reverse incr with synth fulls.
Synthetic full can be set for forward incremental mode only.
digitlman wrote:I have the schedule set to make a backup daily on Tuesdays.
Daily or weekly on Tuesdays? Are you talking about synthetic full schedule or the entire job schedule here?
digitlman wrote:In looking at the logs for the schedule job that evening, it shows of the 50G it processed, it only transferred 516MB
Looks like the incremental run was performed transferring 516MB of changes.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

Backup mode is reversed incremental with enable synth fulls.

Not the synth full schedule. I have this on the Schedule tab of the job. Do I need to not use the schedule there but enable the "full backups periodically" from there for every Tuesday? I cannot seem to set a time there, which is why I did not use it.

Doesn't an incremental run produce a .vib file? This job created a new .vbk, and the log says it removed the older one per policy.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Backup mode is reversed incremental with enable synth fulls. Do I need to not use the schedule there but enable the "full backups periodically" from there for every Tuesday?
There is no need to run synthetic full with reversed incremental mode. And the demand for performing active full also isn’t that strong – you should be ok with running active full once a month or two.
I cannot seem to set a time there, which is why I did not use it.
It will be performed on the time specified as job run in the job schedule settings.
Doesn't an incremental run produce a .vib file?
Reversed incremental doesn’t produce any .vib files. With the reversed mode, the latest restore point will be always a .vbk files and the previous points will be .vrb ones.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

I still not understand. There is only a .vbk file that is 8G even though the damn thing said it only transferred 500 Mb.

I want to set this up so it creates a full backup once a week.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

digitlman wrote:I still not understand. There is only a .vbk file that is 8G even though the damn thing said it only transferred 500 Mb.
This is fully expected if:
digitlman wrote:The vm retention is set for only 1 point.
With reversed incremental mode, changes are injected into the existing VBK file and replaced blocks are stored in the rollback file (VRB). Since you've specified retention = 1, rollback file is not created leaving you with the single VBK.