Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nospam
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Green

Scheduled Copy file picker or file filter

Post by nospam »

Hello there,

Is it possible to pick individual files or put a filter (say *.vbk) on the Scheduled Copy application?

My problem is that I'm trying to copy the *.vbk files off a datastore to be able to put them on tape and send them off for compliance reason.

Is there an efficient way of doing something like this? I've tried using ftp but the file transfer speed seems a little on the low side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Scheduled Copy file picker or file filter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dave,

You can execute the post backup job script to copy the VBK file off the datastore, the script will copy the files you need after the job successfully finishes, and then you can move the VBK file to the tape, or you can create the script that will directly copy the VBK file to the tape and execute it in the post backup job activity, that can be configured at advanced job settings.

Thank you.
nospam
Novice

Post by nospam »

Hello there,

That's something that I'd like to be able to do but I don't know how to do a script that is able to interact with a datastore.

From what I've read in the forum the only Veeam command-line options are for backups only?

If there's a reference somewhere on how to use its Fastscp features through the command line it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Dave;

If you are referring to a scheduled copy job, the same command line ability is available. You will simply need to create your scheduled copy job, and on the last tab of the creation steps, where you see 'finish' you will also see the command line option for that scheduled copy in the summary.

Hope this helps!
nospam
Novice

Post by nospam »

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately the Scheduled Copy by itself isn't enough because it only lets me pick a folder and not a file.

I don't want to transfer all the files in the folder, simply the .vbk files. There's no need for us to put the .vrb files on tape too so transferring them would be a waste of time.

I've found a way to do it by using the a WinSCP script but I was hoping it could all be done within the Veeam product.

Cheers,

Dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Dave, it is not possible to achieve this the way you want if you are backing up to another datastore. I suggest that you copy the whole folder to some place where the tape software can see it, but then configure your tape archival process to pick up VBK file only.
nospam
Novice

Post by nospam »

Hi Gostev,

I'm curious about why there's a folder-only limitation when using the Scheduled Copy since the GUI can handle individual files without any trouble.

You have to admit that transferring an entire folder of ~1TB when less then 50% of its contents will be used doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm trying to make a folder with only hard links but that's proving so far unsuccessful.

Cheers,

Dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Dave, I am not sure why this limitation is in place... this was in the product since FastSCP 1.0 (even before I joined Veeam) :D
Probably there were some architectural reasons or bugs behind this decision - I will need to check on that.