Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rtownsend
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rick Townsend

Scheduler Running Backup Job Twice

Post by rtownsend »

Hello,
I am in the process of Demoing Veeam Backup 3.0 and have come across a scheduler issue. I have a job that runs at 11:00am on Weekdays (Monday – Friday) to backup a Virtual Machine. On Monday it is running twice, it runs at Midnight and then it runs again at its regular scheduled time at 11:00am. It has not run twice on any other day except Monday. It has done this on two Mondays in a row.

Rick Townsend
CBIZ Medical Management Inc.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Scheduler Running Backup Job Twice

Post by Gostev »

Rick, could you send all logs from Help | Support information to support@veeam.com for investigation please?
rtownsend
Novice

Post by rtownsend »

I have sent the information to support@veeam.com

Rick Townsend
Matthias
Novice

Post by Matthias »

I can confirm this behavior!

I assume that this is an update-related error (I upgraded from v2 to v3)
All planned jobsfor a day run at midnight and then on the specified time also.

Matthias
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

Ah, I think I'm having the same problem!

In my tests, I've been trying to figure out why my scheduled backup keeps failing with "Snapshot creation failed: Operation failed since another task is in progress", but a backup does seems to be created and I have nothing else scheduled then. Plus, a manual backup works fine.

My backup is scheduled to run a 12am, which would explain the results I'm seeing based on the report above. I also upgraded from v.2 to v.3.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, looks like this problem is upgrade-related. Can someone confirm that the upgrade was performed according to the procedure listed in the Release Notes? Just so that we know this behavior is not caused due to not following the procedure.
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

Uninstalled the old version before installing the new version, but don't recall if I disabled the service before first launch, as it appears the release notes direct.
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

since mine is just a test installation, if I uninstalled everything including the database and reinstalled, the problem should go away?
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

Uninstalled everything, reinstalled with fresh database. I expect tonight it will work properly. Thanks
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

the fresh SQL database has only one job in the table, so I'm assuming it will be fine. i probably should have just looked at the tables before uninstalling and reinstalling, but either way...
Matthias
Novice

Post by Matthias »

Gostev wrote:Yes, looks like this problem is upgrade-related. Can someone confirm that the upgrade was performed according to the procedure listed in the Release Notes? Just so that we know this behavior is not caused due to not following the procedure.
I'm sure that I followed the "To upgrade Veeam Backup 2.0.1 to Veeam Backup 3.0" procedure found in "VEEAM BACKUP 3.0 RELEASE NOTES [build version 3.0.0.238 February 17, 2009]" on page 5.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Everyone who is experiencing this problem after upgrade from 2.0.1, please open a support case with Veeam support in order to get a fix for this issue. We have reproduced the issue and are working on the fix.
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

after what i think is a clean reinstall, fresh db, same problem. would this fix still be applicable?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it would still be applicable. The problem appears to relate to the way you have the job schedule configured, instead of upgrade.
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

ok, submitted an online support form. since I'm still in pre-sales, not sure that's the right place for it, but hopefully it gets where it needs to go. thanks :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, so the final description for this issue is the following: if the daily job schedule has some days cleared, the job will always start at 12am on the next day it is allowed to run. This issue has been fixed, and the fix will be available as a part of 3.0.1 update release currently scheduled to be released on March 16th.
beckhamk
Enthusiast

Post by beckhamk »

was this fix released 3/16?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello Kyle - yes, it was RTMed yesterday and should be made available for download from the website later today.
printpack
Novice

Post by printpack »

Gostev wrote:Hello Kyle - yes, it was RTMed yesterday and should be made available for download from the website later today.

Has the download been made available yet?

If so where would be able to get it from

Thanks

Carl
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it was made available on our web-site on March 18th... you can download it from the product page, or using your personal download area link you have received after initial registration with Veeam.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by BearHuntr »

I initially had the problem with 3.0 where my backup job was scheduled every Monday at 9 pm and it was running at both 12 am and 9 pm. I updated to 3.01 and now the scheduled backup for Monday at 9 pm didn't run at all last night. There was no failure, just nothing happened. When I looked at the job late last week, it showed that it was scheduled to run at 9 pm last night, and now after the failure it shows that it is scheduled for next Monday at 9 pm. Do I need to recreate the job now that I've upgraded to 3.01? Is there something else that I need to do to get it to run on its schedule again. maybe run it manually once? Thanks!

BH.
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

BearHuntr - You do not need to recreate this job. If you go ahead and manually run this job, the scheduler should take care of the rest on Monday at 9pm. You might also try restarting the Veeam Backup service to see if this corrects your scheduled job and runs at the correct time. Please don't hesitate to shoot a mail to support(at)veeam.com if the problem persists.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You may also want to verify if you have the "Run the job automatically" check box selected. If you have and the job did not run on monday, it would be best to send us all logs from Help | Support Information - we should be able to tell from logs why it did not run.
rtownsend
Novice

Post by rtownsend »

Hi,
I did install the 3.01 release last week and did not see the duplicate backup issue this weekend. It looks like the update resolved the orginal issue.

Rick Townsend