Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CharadeUR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: George Streeter

Scheduling confustion

Post by CharadeUR »

I have tried to figure this out but it seems a bit challenging. The plan is to have a weekend backup every weekend and take that device off site. We have two NAS devices with different IP addresses that will be these offsite devices.

The scheduling is the issue. Just creating two jobs one for each NAS device will have one job failing every weekend because only one NAS will be on site at a time. I created two jobs for NAS1 that backs up the 1st and 3rd Saturday and two jobs for NAS2 that backs up the 2nd and 4th. But I stared thinking if I have two jobs that backup to the same NAS device will they increment correctly or will they keep two fulls and two sets of incrementals? What do I do with months that have 5 Saturdays in the month? I wish I could set up a job that says backup every other Saturday but that does not seem to be an option. Suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Scheduling confustion

Post by foggy »

Geroge, your scenario can be implemented by adding both devices as backup repositories and creating two jobs (one for each repository) and scheduling them to be triggered when the corresponding NAS is connected. In this case each job will have its own backup chain and will increment correctly. The only trick is with those months that have 5 Saturdays, but you can launch your jobs with a PowerShell script using Windows Task Scheduler. Please check out how to do that at our PowerShell subforum. Thanks!
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

Thanks Alexander. That is exactly what I was looking for. Just so I am clear I will be able to use PowerShell to trigger the jobs to run when only when a repository is connected. There is no setting in the GUI to check for repository connectivity first. Correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I mean you need to schedule the job for the time when you plan to connect the corresponding device using Task Scheduler (it provides more flexible scheduling capabilities allowing to take the fifth Saturday into account).
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

Thanks. I get it. I probably asked the wrong question in the scripting forum then. Thanks for your help.