Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bvdutchie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Barry Dutchak

Scheduling

Post by bvdutchie »

Since version 2 I've had an issue with backing up on monthly or every 2 weeks, etc. I can't seem to create a schedule that will meet this need. I also have a need to create a one time schedule which can't seem to be accomplished. Am I using this wrong? I also don't want to get into scripting then scheduling scripted jobs. I brought this issue up with a tech about 10 months ago and he agreed that it definitely needs to be addressed however nothing seems to have been accomplished in v4.0; unless I'm missing something.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Scheduling

Post by Gostev »

Hi Barry, this has been lower priority feature because most people who needed non-typical schedules like yourself were fine starting jobs from command line using the Windows Scheduler. Unfortunately, we cannot deliver all required features in one release (we have about 200 of features pending implementation), so we have to prioritize features. Those features which have working and acceptable (for most) workarounds get lower priority.

I am hoping to squeeze monthly jobs into the product within the next half-year or so, depending on available dev. resources.

Thank you for your feedback!
bvdutchie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Barry Dutchak

Post by bvdutchie »

1 every 2 weeks or month or even just wanting to schedule once and not run again are not "non-typical" schedules. I must say that this is really shows poorly that you've chosen to skip something so fundamental to a backup application. I purchased this software to lower the administration costs. If I wanted to script backups I would have just used vcb.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Barry, we appreciate your feedback. All what I was saying, is that we prioritize all features by number of requests, importance and presense of solid workarounds. This feature simply did not have high demand comparing to other features (even though it might be extremely important to few customers, like yourself).

Also, would you agree that starting the job from command line, and scripting the whole VCB backup process are dramatically different things and cannot really be compared. You cannot dedupe, do file level restore, incremental backups etc. with script around VCB. Not to mention that you cannot even do scripting any longer with next generation of VCB, the vStorage APIs.