Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1343 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Search function in Backup Enterprise Manager

Post by foggy » Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks for the feedback, Christof. As you can see from this thread, this feature is already on our radar.

smortimer2000
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by smortimer2000 » Sep 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Agreed. I'm currently struggling to find a folder in Backup Enterprise Manager without the ability to search for folders.

philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

[MERGED] Find/Restore Folders from uncertain backup

Post by philfreund » Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm 1 person likes this post

We just ran across a problem that is all too common for us.

Scenario: A user has deleted a folder sometime “recently” and would like it restored. We know the name of the folder and where it used to be. How do we do one search to find the most recent backup of the deleted folder so we can restore it? Guest file indexing is enabled on the backup job.

I have tried using the Files function on Enterprise Manager to do a search but it doesn't handle folders. The only way to do this seems to be to mount each restore point and drill down in it to see if the folder is there. That's really time consuming, especially since "recent" can actually be several weeks in the past.

Sadly, we do this all the time with TSM but since we are switching completely to Veeam B&R, that won't be an option soon. Is this capability being added soon?

SvenConrad
Novice
Full Name: Sven Conrad

Post by SvenConrad » Feb 20, 2017 9:49 am

Hello,

We are currently using NetBackup to backup all of our servers, including our main Fileservers with several millions of files. I am currently testing Veeam as an replacement, but I am also missing a solution to the very common use case of a "lost folder". Everyone who had to support users with lost files and folders before knows how vague the remaining information about the lost files can be ("I know that at the end of 2013 there was a folder about project XY somewhere on this server!"). This seems like an essential feature to me - not needed very often, but if you need it, it possible saves you hours of browsing old and archived backups manually.

So +1 for the "folder search on indexed guests" from my side.

emiller
Lurker

[MERGED] Compare Current VM Guest Files

Post by emiller » Apr 17, 2017 5:02 pm

I appreciate the power of Veeam Backup & Replication, but miss a feature from our previous backup solution.

Users often do not know the name or even folder location of a guest file they want restored, or when it was deleted or modified.
By mounting the current VM and showing guest files, and comparing this to restore points, VBR could show what files have been deleted or modified, thus making it easier for me to find the file to restore. Ideally, I could select a starting date and be presented with all file deletions or modifications (compared to the present) found (or missing) in all restore points for that time period.

I realize this is a very restore-centric approach, but restoreability is the reason for backup.

mr-tin
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by mr-tin » May 30, 2017 2:19 pm 1 person likes this post

We too require the ability to search for Folder Names, please :!:

PhungMinh
Novice
Full Name: Ha Minh Phung

Post by PhungMinh » Sep 14, 2017 7:10 am

I see that Backup Enterprise Manager doesn't have Search by vApp function (now I'm using ver 9.5). Is there any clues that version 10 (intended launching at October) will have this feature or it will not?

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Sep 27, 2017 9:52 am

This was not considered as part of v10, as far as I know.

McClane
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by McClane » Jul 13, 2018 7:04 am

Why does such a simple feature needs 6 years to be implemented? I have a lot more deleted or missing folders than files in my restore request. I waste hours to crawl through backup points every month to find a folder because I don't have any other information sometimes.

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Aug 09, 2018 4:48 pm

It is just a matter of priority. Even a tiny feature will take years to squeeze into provided the priority is low.

pkuikman
Service Provider
Full Name: Peter Kuikman

Post by pkuikman » Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

The Enterprise Manager Self Service Restore is only capable in restoring complete VM's or files only. You are not able to restore a folder. This restore of folders function should be a basic functionality and makes the Enterprise Self Service restore pretty much useless.

Is this something that could be put on the roadmap for EM?

pkuikman
Service Provider
Full Name: Peter Kuikman

Post by pkuikman » Aug 14, 2018 1:45 pm 1 person likes this post

pkuikman wrote:The Enterprise Manager Self Service Restore is only capable in restoring complete VM's or files only. You are not able to restore a folder. This restore of folders function should be a basic functionality and makes the Enterprise Self Service restore pretty much useless.
For anybody else having this "Problem", you can simply right click in the tree and click restore. I overlooked the right click :D