Search function in Backup Enterprise Manager

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Search function in Backup Enterprise Manager

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks for the feedback, Christof. As you can see from this thread, this feature is already on our radar.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1060 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby smortimer2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Agreed. I'm currently struggling to find a folder in Backup Enterprise Manager without the ability to search for folders.
smortimer2000
Lurker

Liked: never

[MERGED] Find/Restore Folders from uncertain backup

Veeam Logoby philfreund » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm 1 person likes this post

We just ran across a problem that is all too common for us.

Scenario: A user has deleted a folder sometime “recently” and would like it restored. We know the name of the folder and where it used to be. How do we do one search to find the most recent backup of the deleted folder so we can restore it? Guest file indexing is enabled on the backup job.

I have tried using the Files function on Enterprise Manager to do a search but it doesn't handle folders. The only way to do this seems to be to mount each restore point and drill down in it to see if the folder is there. That's really time consuming, especially since "recent" can actually be several weeks in the past.

Sadly, we do this all the time with TSM but since we are switching completely to Veeam B&R, that won't be an option soon. Is this capability being added soon?
philfreund
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Veeam Logoby SvenConrad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:49 am

Hello,

We are currently using NetBackup to backup all of our servers, including our main Fileservers with several millions of files. I am currently testing Veeam as an replacement, but I am also missing a solution to the very common use case of a "lost folder". Everyone who had to support users with lost files and folders before knows how vague the remaining information about the lost files can be ("I know that at the end of 2013 there was a folder about project XY somewhere on this server!"). This seems like an essential feature to me - not needed very often, but if you need it, it possible saves you hours of browsing old and archived backups manually.

So +1 for the "folder search on indexed guests" from my side.
SvenConrad
Novice

Full Name: Sven Conrad

[MERGED] Compare Current VM Guest Files

Veeam Logoby emiller » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:02 pm

I appreciate the power of Veeam Backup & Replication, but miss a feature from our previous backup solution.

Users often do not know the name or even folder location of a guest file they want restored, or when it was deleted or modified.
By mounting the current VM and showing guest files, and comparing this to restore points, VBR could show what files have been deleted or modified, thus making it easier for me to find the file to restore. Ideally, I could select a starting date and be presented with all file deletions or modifications (compared to the present) found (or missing) in all restore points for that time period.

I realize this is a very restore-centric approach, but restoreability is the reason for backup.
emiller
Lurker

Veeam Logoby mr-tin » Tue May 30, 2017 2:19 pm

We too require the ability to search for Folder Names, please :!:
mr-tin
Novice

Liked: 1 time

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication