Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lladreyt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Laurent

secondary copy backup

Post by lladreyt »

Hi all,

I'm quite new with Veeam Backup and Replication. I have Veeam B&R 8 Standard Edition.
I bacup only 3 VMs (around 600GB). I backup on a Synology NAS, so on disk with a fileshare.
I have an incremental job every working day, and on Satuday a synthetic full bckp is done.

I'd like to do a copy of the full backup on an USB Disk (so fileshare also) to take away from the site once a week, on Monday for instance.

but I don't really understand how the "secondary target" works, because I can't choose when this secondary copy takes place...
I saw we can do a script in the advanced options of the job, but i'd like to use this secondary copy option because I think Veeam can do it :)

would you help me please?

thx,

Laurent.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: secondary copy backup

Post by veremin »

I'd like to do a copy of the full backup on an USB Disk (so fileshare also) to take away from the site once a week, on Monday for instance.
Are you going to rotate this drive? Say, each Monday current USB drive will be replaced with a different one?

Generally speaking, you'd probably need to create a backup copy job with 7 day copy interval and let it perform initial cycle on the desired day of week. Starting from this moment, once a week the backup copy job will create a new restore point on the inserted drive.

Thanks.
lladreyt
Novice

Post by lladreyt »

hey mate!

thx very much for your answer :)

indeed, it's exactly this: i'll have 2 USB HD for rotate (on at home and one on site), which i'll switch every monday.

I created the copy job, set to 7 days interval. so like the synthetic full is on saturday, the copy job will copy this full bckp to the usb hd after, and on Monday, i'll switch the USB HD, and same.. am I right?

thx again for your help :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You should add the said drive as repository, and enable this option in its settings.

Backup copy job doesn't copy backup files as a whole, but rather synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories. So, it doesn't really matter whether its cycle coincides with the day scheduled for synthetic full. So, it's up to you to decide on which day to run it initially.

Thanks.
lladreyt
Novice

Post by lladreyt »

yes I set the USB HD as a backup repository.
I didn't know this option for the rotate disk, so I enabled it, thx :)

one last question: when you said "run it initialy", what do you mean exactly please? because now my copy job is in status "idle", next run is "continuous", and it is "waiting for the new copy interval". I fI look on the USD disk, i see 2 files: one *.vbm, and one *.vbk.

thx again mate :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What about the size of .vbk file? Is it approximately equal to the full backup of the source backup job?

You can right click on it and choose sync now option. Providing there is a restore point created by source backup job within the specified interval, the backup copy job should starting creating a point on the given drive.

By the way, you don't use the same repository for both backup and backup copy jobs, do you?

Thanks.
lladreyt
Novice

Post by lladreyt »

yepp the *.vbk file is quite the same size as the synthetic full backup size.

I did the "sync now", and a *.vib file has been added in the USB drive repository. the *.vbm and *.vib have the same "date modified" (today 2:41PM), and the *.vbk didn't change from last time.

no i don't use the same repository for backup and backup copy jobs, they are differents :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

yepp the *.vbk file is quite the same size as the synthetic full backup size.
It means that the backup copy job has already created the required point within the existing interval, after 7 days it will try to create a new one.
lladreyt
Novice

Post by lladreyt »

ah OK! I think I get it now :)
so I think i'll now delete everything on the USB drive, supend the copy job, and on next monday, i'll do the sync again to start "from scratch" :)

thx again, you helped a lot!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can leave already created restore point as is. On the next Monday when you insert a new drive the backup copy job should automatically create a new one on it.
lladreyt
Novice

Post by lladreyt »

ah OK thx!!!

thx so much for your help
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to reach us, if other questions arise. Thanks.