Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kpax
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KPax

Seed Backup Copy

Post by kpax »

Hey Guys,

I have a system backing up off site. What is the best way to seed that backup to my primary site before I begin the backup copy job? Can I just copy the contents of that jobs backup folder?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Seed Backup Copy

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,,
What is the best way to seed that backup to my primary site before I begin the backup copy job? Can I just copy the contents of that jobs backup folder?
You can use an auxiliary backup copy job to create a .VBK out of your original chain and them place that .VBK into the target repository where you want to host your secondary backup chain at. Please see this article for details.

Thank you.
kpax
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KPax

Post by kpax »

So based on this, I should make a backup copy job to a location at the remote site (A usb drive) to create the .vbk files. Then bring those files to my main site, create the backup copy job and map the backup to the .vbk file I moved over?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

That's correct. You can also bring the whole backup chain from the remote site to the primary site and map new backup copy job to it without prior creation of full .vbk - the backup copy job should continue the chain.

Thank you.