Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

seed from another computer

Post by frankive »

We want to seed a backup copy job to service provider.
The customer has very low bandwith, but we can provide that for him for seeding.
They dont' want (dont have time) to send disc to service provider.

I create a active full backup copy job and have tried to create a dummy backup job while mapping this into from our console with high bandwith.
Unfortunelately backup copy job will of course just use the VM-data to send. We dont' have the VM chosen since we just have the backup file..
Any clues if this is possible to achieve somehow?

It is almost working but the job says: task failed: Failed to expand object (vm-name) . Details: cannot find (vm-name) on host x.x.x.x
frankive
Service Provider

Re: seed from another computer

Post by frankive »

Hmm, i guess if i actually restore from backup file, and register the vms on a hyper-v host, i can use thise vms as a source :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just a quick question - why don't they run initial cycle of backup copy job locally and then send the resulting file to you to be used later as a seed? Or it's not possible, applicable in this case? Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

it was another provider and they didnt accept disk as a seed. But I connected their harddrive to my backup server at work with gigabit internet, and got their service provider login, restore the vms from backup to my host, created a dummy job, created a backu copy job to service provider with customers credential, and got the data in the repository that way. deleted the backup copy jo, rescanned repostiroy at customer site, mapped the data and good to go :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether we've tested similar scenarios. :)

I think that the fact that the same VM had different MorefIDs and were placed on different hosts might be the reason why the seeding procedure didn't succeed.

Thanks.