Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwkirk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Kirkpatrick

Seeding a Backup Data Flow Question

Post by mwkirk »

I have an issue where I was/am backing up a VM that is on the other end of a VPN link. The link at the remote site is 10Mb and the machine I am backing up is about 500GB. I got the initial backup done which took a long time and then we were running nightly backups that took about 8 hours. We needed to increase the disk size on the VM and that blew away the CBT so we need to do another full backup. Something always seems to happen to kill the backup so was thinking of trying to put a backup repository on a local desktop, get the full backup, sneakernet it over to my central site and then map the backup to that then we should be back on track.

I don't have Veeam running at the remote site so would the data go directly from the local VM Server to the local Backup Repository or would it still need to involve my Veeam Server at my central site and in effect totally defeating the purpose?

Thanks
Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Seeding a Backup Data Flow Question

Post by foggy »

Mike, for the data to be backed up locally within the remote site, you need to have a proxy server there that will effectively retrieve VM data from the source storage and transfer it to the repository server. Do you have a proxy set up there or just using the default proxy installed as a part of Veeam B&R installation?
mwkirk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Kirkpatrick

Re: Seeding a Backup Data Flow Question

Post by mwkirk »

No I don't but that does make sense. Let me make that change and see how it works.