Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mvank
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michel van Kuilenburg

Re: Seeding offsite backup files for a Backup Copy Job

Post by mvank »

Unfortunately not working for me, ran a active full job, copied both VBK file and VBM file to media to transfer to target location, refreshed repository and backup is recognized (imported).
When creating backup copy job and trying to map it to the transfered backup file, i got the message "No Backup is attached. Cannot map a backup"
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

This error is typical for the case where the full backup from the existing backup chain is used for mapping (not a separate active full backup with no incrementals). If you're positive you're using a single active full VBK, I suggest contacting support to take a look at your logs.
mvank
Novice
Full Name: Michel van Kuilenburg

Post by mvank »

foggy wrote:This error is typical for the case where the full backup from the existing backup chain is used for mapping (not a separate active full backup with no incrementals). If you're positive you're using a single active full VBK, I suggest contacting support to take a look at your logs.
What i did, started manually an active full, when the job completed, copied both files (VBK and VBM) to target, but no luck.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Most likely VBM contains info about previous increments. You should create a separate one-time job containing the same VMs to get standalone full backup file with VBM suitable for mapping (or generate VBM file from scratch).
mr2nut123
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED]: Two NAS devices at different locations

Post by mr2nut123 »

Is there a way to pre-seed a full backup job to a NAS, then move it to another physical site (has a different IP range but a constant VPN) and then configure a backup copy job to replicate only changes to the remote site on a daily basis? I have configured Hyper-V in the past to do this across two Windows Servers, but was hoping I could do the same to two NAS devices using Veeam.

They have quite a fast 15mb connection at either end with a Cisco VPN, but I don't think sending 1.7TB initially would be an option :)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

You can use seeding (if you want to start the chain anew) or backup copy job mapping. This thread might be useful too, please take a look.

Thanks
bensaida
Influencer
Full Name: Said Ben Saida

[MERGED] seeding a backup copy job

Post by bensaida »

Hi,

I created new local backup copy jobs using a backup job as source.
Can I seed that job with the backup job to speed up the process by copying its files onto the new local backup copy repository?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can do that. Just copy files to the target repository, rescan it and map the job. Here's a dedicated KB article as well.
puderbaer
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Uwe Sachse

[MERGED] export most recent full backup file from a reposito

Post by puderbaer »

Hello all,

I have a remote repository configured as a target for a backup copy job. In this repository are multiple monthly full backups located, corresponding to our archive policy. Now I'm getting out of space and unfortunately I can't expand the volume further more because I forgot to use the /L option during formatting the disk.
Is it possible to extract only the most actual fullbackup file (xx_M.vbk), import it into a new repository and use this as the source for a new copy job (seeding)?
I don't want to move the whole content of the old repository to a new repo because I would need to copy about 30 TB of backup files. In addition, I guess I will lose the Windows dedup savings during data copy.

Thank you.

Best regards
Uwe
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Uwe, yes, this is possible. However, you would need a standalone full, not the one taken out of the existing chain. Review the thread above for more information.