Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ioannis.T
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ioannis Tsitsiklis

Self-Service portal for end users

Post by Ioannis.T »

Hello,

I was looking at Self-Service of Ent Manger.
I was hoping to find a way where the users could go and restore files on their own without the intervention of the administrators.
This is a very often request for us , so I would like to take this time of the admins and allow the end users to be bale to do it by themselves.

As I was going through the documentation though https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 , I started to understand that this is not for the end user? I mean local admin privileges would never be a thing for a normal user.

Is there a way to utilize this as a Self-Service for restore files for end users? or is there another. approach?\

Thanks
Ioannis
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Self-Service portal for end users

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
yes, Enterprise Manager is for VM-admins (not for end-users).

For end-users there is no self-service in Veeam today (we count your request +1 though).

If it's about classic file-server file restore, then maybe native VSS snapshots in Windows (aka "previous versions") could be an alternative.

Best regards,
Hannes
Ioannis.T
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ioannis Tsitsiklis

Post by Ioannis.T »

Thank you Hannes for your reply.
We are using the previous versions thing, but it can go only so far back :D
Thanks for taking this into your feature request queue.
I believe it would not be easy to implement since there would be some complexity one the permissions side.
e.g.
- The assigned end-users should only be able to restore files on specific servers that we allow
- The assigned end-users should only be able to restore files from specific location and not from the entire file server, they should not be able to meddle with the Program files for example
- And the should only be able to restore the files to the exact location it was, to avoid any security implications on restoring from a folder that they usually do not have access, and try to restore the file to a location that they do have access.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yep, permissions are the main challenge :-)