Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Aumatics
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aumatics

[Feature Request] Session history not affecting startup time

Post by Aumatics »

We had some problems with Veeam on opening the console of veeam. It takes us 40/45 minutes to have the console opened while the server is doing nothing and is blazing fast. We were asked to do the following KB article: https://www.veeam.com/kb1995 from support. As this could take multiple hours we are hesitating to do this.
On the other hand if we would like to keep the sessions for 53 weeks for whatever reason, why would having many session history retention in the database affect the startup time of the console and restore jobs. There is also a setting for how many sessions are shown and that is 100 sessions.

Is it possible to have this turned around, so only the sessions of the setting 'Sessions' is loaded on startup or isn't loaded at startup at all ?

Reference: case 02646024
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: [Feature Request] Session history not affecting startup

Post by csydas »

Hey there Aumatics,

Just out of curiosity, what is SQL showing as your top tables? I've had my Veeam Server with non-stop jobs for about 2 years and while it can be a minute or two to open, it's never in that range, and I've got a few tape jobs up in the millions of files, which I can only imagine what that does to the DB.

Maybe there's something else going on here. If I were you, I'd maybe make a copy of the veeamDB quick and just see what the difference is after running the stored procedure to see if it even matters. (Just backup in sql, run the stored procedure on the copy while the primary is left nice and happy, then when you get a break in jobs, use this kb https://www.veeam.com/kb1889 and find the reg-keys to point it at the "copy" db)

If there's no improvement, then just tell support :)
Aumatics
Novice

Post by Aumatics »

csydas wrote:Hey there Aumatics,

Just out of curiosity, what is SQL showing as your top tables? I've had my Veeam Server with non-stop jobs for about 2 years and while it can be a minute or two to open, it's never in that range, and I've got a few tape jobs up in the millions of files, which I can only imagine what that does to the DB.

Maybe there's something else going on here. If I were you, I'd maybe make a copy of the veeamDB quick and just see what the difference is after running the stored procedure to see if it even matters. (Just backup in sql, run the stored procedure on the copy while the primary is left nice and happy, then when you get a break in jobs, use this kb https://www.veeam.com/kb1889 and find the reg-keys to point it at the "copy" db)

If there's no improvement, then just tell support :)
In order:
dbo.Backup.Model.BackupTaskSessions
dbo.Backup.Model. SqlBackupIntervalSess
dbo.Backup.Model.Jobsessions

I'll try that and i saw many users who saw significant speed upgrade, but my main question (was) is why it would matter for startup having a lot of entry's
Aumatics
Novice

Post by Aumatics »

Did that, but did not work. Still 40minutes for the console to open.