Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
khockenb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kurt H.

Setting a password on FLR appliance FTP?

Post by khockenb »

Is there a way to set a username/password on the FLR FTP server, instead of the server using anonymous FTP? I was surprised there wasn't a "set password" option when I checked "enable FTP".

I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of making all of a VM's files publically available when I want to do an FTP-enabled restore. I can put the FLR appliance on a restricted subnet in some cases, but if I want to make a restore available to a end-user on the public nets, being able to give them a temporary username & password would be helpful.
tpayton
Veeam Software
Liked: 81 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Re: Setting a password on FLR appliance FTP?

Post by tpayton » 2 people like this post

As a secure alternative you could use SFTP to connect to the Mutli-OS FLR Appliance. You can set the appliance password within the Manage Credentials menu section.
Tyler Payton
Customer Experience Manager / KB Manager
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

Tyler suggestion is definitely a good one. A lot of people don't realize that you can set the password on the FLR appliance in the Manage Credentials screen, and once you set that you can use SCP/SFTP or rsync/tar over SSH to perform restores. You don't even have to configure the "Enable FTP" option for that to work. This is far more secure, and generally faster, than using FTP, and rsync supports things like full permissions and special files that might not work with other methods.
khockenb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kurt H.

Post by khockenb »

Count me as one of those people! We're new to Veeam here, but that's great to know. I'd definitely prefer using rsync. Thank you both.