Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rbrinkmann
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ralf Brinkmann

setup proxy

Post by rbrinkmann »

Hi,

Currently we have a bare metal backup server with direct attached storage.

We are implementing a DR site, see https://app.box.com/s/4edw5g8be4l8plr8lozth0t4qonx0q3b attached.

So we will have our current backup server being operational and I will setup a backup server at the DR site.

My question is Can I use our bare metal backup server as a proxy for the new backup server while the current server is still active and acts as a proxy for that installation, see :

https://app.box.com/s/syibtu8pr4jn0edotoi8j6x2g80oy70i

Regards
Ralf
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: setup proxy

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
doing that would force you in dependencies during upgrade. Everything needs to be upgraded at the same time then. That's why I would not do it.

Technically you can share a proxy between multiple VBR servers. But they don't know about each other. That means, the proxy might become overloaded.

I recommend having only one VBR server. Putting that one VBR server to the DR site (as you plan), is a best practice. For your scenario, I would reconfigure everything so that the old VBR server is only proxy and repository.

Best regards,
Hannes
rbrinkmann
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ralf Brinkmann

Post by rbrinkmann »

Hi,

this construct is only valid while implementing the 2nd VBR server.

As soon as the 2nd server is operating ok the 1st server will be decomissioned but still acting as a proxy because of the efficient connection to the repos.

Thanks for your answer.

Ralf
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Sure, this would work, just uninstall the product from the first backup server and add it as a proxy on the second backup server. To make the switch easier you can to back the first server configuration up and restore the configuration of the first backup server. If it's a virtual server, you can even replicate and failover to it. Thanks!