Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Soap
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Shared Database

Post by Soap »

Does anyone know if future versions of Veeam will allow for a shared DB between multiple B&R servers. I know I am not getting the maximum dedup benefits since I have to multiple B&R server to backups my environment. (50+ ESX hosts and 1000+ VM's)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Shared Database

Post by Gostev »

Hi Brian, I am not following your idea here. How exactly the shared DB can help to achieve better dedupe, in your opinion? Dedupe is done on per-job level, and not affected by database anyhow. Thanks.
Soap
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Post by Soap »

Okay, maybe I am not thinking about this correctly. My environment consists of 6 b&r virtual servers (1 for each vm cluster which are made up of 6 physical esx hosts) So for example 1 b&r server will have 6 jobs and I have them daisy chained together. (On average each HA stack has about 200 VM's and between 10 to 15TB of storage) As I am typing this response I am remembering back and I believe dedupe is done per job, so each of my 6 jobs on that 1 b&r server have no idea about each other as far as dedupe is concerned, meaning my question about the shared DB doesn't matter. Am I making sense and do I have that right? I am just looking back and my jobs and trying to find the quickest way to get backups done in the smallest window possible. Sorry if I am rambling, I wear many hats at work and veeam is just one of them, so sometimes I am not very current or I forget some things I may have known back when I set something up etc...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Soap wrote:Am I making sense and do I have that right?
Yes, your understanding is correct. Also you may want to increase the number of jobs running in parallel on a single backup server, just make sure you have enough CPU resources on the backup server to handle that.