Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevenj

Sharing a database server

Post by stevenj »

Hi,

Can multiple veeam appliances share the same common SQL database server?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Sharing a database server

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steven, yes - you can have the same SQL Server used by multiple Veeam Backup instances. There is an option in v5 setup to specify database name for Veeam Backup instance you are deploying, so you can have all Veeam Backup databases stored on the same remote SQL server instance. Thanks!
dmanconi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Manconi

Post by dmanconi »

Hi Gostev

Just confirming your reply a bit further - I can have two differnt Veeam backup instalations pointing at the same Veeam SQL DB on a remote SQL server with no issues. Each installation of Veeam backup will be able to write with no issues to the DB? I have a client who requries replication and backup to be on seperate servers for business requirements.

Thanks
David
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I think Anton meant that you can use the same database server as long as you have two different databases, not that two instances of Veeam can share the same database. You original question was "can they share a common database server" which is pretty different from sharing the same database instance. I would say you cannot do that.

Why not just install two copies of Veeam with it's own local database, one for backup and another for replication?
dmanconi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Manconi

Post by dmanconi »

Hi

Ahh that makes more sense, although if you could share the same veeam DB it would be nice. Other applications can share so maybe it is on the road map...Hint Hint

The client has a policy of no local SQL installations (SQl EXpress or otherwise) unless there is business reason. There is a shared SQL platform available, so I will request seperate DB's for each console.

Thanks
David
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

dmanconi wrote:The client has a policy of no local SQL installations (SQl EXpress or otherwise) unless there is business reason. There is a shared SQL platform available, so I will request seperate DB's for each console.
A reasonable policy, but perhaps in this case there is a business reason. Do you really want you replication and backup solutions dependent on yet a third machine? I sure don't. But each customer has to make their own decisions.