Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vanbeek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peet Klomp

Shurebackup, validate backup files without trying to boot

Post by vanbeek »

Does anybody know if there is a nice shurebackup way to vallidate the backup files, but not trying to boot the system in a virtuallab.

I ask this because i want to test my offsite backupfiles over the inernet, and that connection is to slow to succesfully boot a system. but running the checksums works very well.

I know i can ignore the faults in the email, but i rather see a succes mail, and veeam skippes the time needed to try to boot it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Shurebackup, validate backup files without trying to boo

Post by veremin »

If you want to confirm just the checksum of backup files, why not to use backup validator, then? Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'm a bit confused with your statement about verification. You don't need to have good connection over the WAN to verify backups in the offsite location. Am I missing something?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, the easiest way would be to install a copy of Veeam B&R in the remote location to perform that. However, with some routing tweaks you can do this even on your local Veeam B&R installation. I assume you do have some virtual infrastructure to run virtual lab in the remote site, don't you?
vanbeek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peet Klomp

Post by vanbeek »

v.Eremin wrote:If you want to confirm just the checksum of backup files, why not to use backup validator, then? Thanks.
Thanx, that is exactly what does the trick, wish that was integrated in the GUI version, so it would automatically email the results etc. and be schedules in sequence with the rest.

But i will do it the "old fashioned" commandline way.
Vitaliy S. wrote:I'm a bit confused with your statement about verification. You don't need to have good connection over the WAN to verify backups in the offsite location. Am I missing something?
Verification is done by the veeam perl agent on the remote location and only the results are send over, a WAN connection over a phone line is sufficient for this.

Starting a "instant virtual machine" requires a good LAN connection to complete in success.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vanbeek wrote:Verification is done by the veeam perl agent on the remote location and only the results are send over, a WAN connection over a phone line is sufficient for this.

Starting a "instant virtual machine" requires a good LAN connection to complete in success.
Ok, got it. For some reason I assumed you have ESXi hosts deployed on the target location to verify your backups.