Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Simpe Question about Veeam and datastores

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

Hello

Each of our VMware guests live in their own dedicated data store. We are going to expand one of the guests and add an additional hard drive to the guest but this virtual disc will be placed in a different data store but still on the same physical machine.

I take it Veeam will just backup the Guest regardless of how the VMware guest is located across data stores, and it just creates the one contiguous backup file?

When we come to recover or replicate this guest, that's spans multiple data stores, can we replicate back to one data store as long as its big enough to hold it, or do I have to have the same data store layout on the target server that matches the guest layout.

I just want to make sure I have got all the bases covered before I go and make any changes !

Many thanks to all who reply, its really appreciated.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Simpe Question about Veeam and datastores

Post by veremin »

I take it Veeam will just backup the Guest regardless of how the VMware guest is located across data stores, and it just creates the one contiguous backup file?
Correct.
When we come to recover or replicate this guest, that's spans multiple data stores, can we replicate back to one data store as long as its big enough to hold it
Yes, you can either restore all disks to one datastore or span them across multiple ones. More information can be found here.

Thanks.
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Post by kevin_cambs_uk » 1 person likes this post

Fantastic
I really do like Veeam ! It makes my life so much easier!
Thank You
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Hi Kevin - quick question , why are you provisioning a datastore for Each VM? I'm concerned you are setting yourself up for a world of Administrative pain !
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

I think that's just the way I like it really, plus this was the first server I ever built using VMware, so when I look back I would have done it differently!