Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adrien.herve
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Adrien HERVE

Slow backup on Domino servers

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi guys,

I having trouble trying to backup some big Domino servers with B&R. The size of each VM is about 1,5 to 2TB.
After the snapshot VMDK takes hours to be sent to the repository (btw I'm using SAN mode only) and delta VMDK increase a lot during this operation due to high I/O activity.

The result is a very slow commit running over the backup window (it's going worst when users try to access these servers). Last week I got a hang of 2 minutes in the middle of business day at the very last step of snapshot commiting process.
I know the problem is more on virtual infrastructure than backup infrastructure, but I want to know if you guys have some tricks to backup these virtual machines more quickly?

I can't use hardware snapshot, my storage is not compliant with B&R.

Thanks for your help,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Slow backup on Domino servers

Post by foggy »

Adrien, what are the bottleneck stats for this job?
adrien.herve
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Adrien HERVE

Post by adrien.herve »

Source as usual. Take 7 hours to backup, 3 hours to send it to the repository, 4 hours to commit.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You need to look at your source storage performance then (btw, what is it?). What is the typical speed of data retrieval from source? How often do you run the job (with more often jobs VMs will generate less changes between cycles)? Some hints on how to eliminate this effect can also be found in this thread.