Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JRBeaver
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Beaver

Slow File Level Restore after upgrade to Veeam 11

Post by JRBeaver »

I have an open case with Veeam support, case ID: #02303616
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen extremely slow FLR mounts after upgrading from Veeam 10 to 11.

Typically jobs that would take from 1 to 3 hours to mount are now taking 6 to 9 hours to mount, in one some cases the backups do not mount at all after 28 hours. Others have mounted after 20 and 27 hours.

This is only happening with one of our clients but pretty consistently for them. They are running Windows 2012 R2 servers mostly with a VM as the backup server, this VM is a second DC in the site running on a dedicated backup host for replication. Most sites have QNAP NASs of various sizes although the main site has a Thecus NAS running Windows storage server.

The similarity with all the slow restores is large VMs from 4 to 12 TB, all VMs 2 TB and less don't appear to have the issue.

It has been mentioned that fragmentation could cause the slow restores, and I don't doubt it could, however the successful restores prior to the V 11 upgrade were only days or weeks prior. I am also running a defrag and compact on the critical server we are trying to restore from, however this is likely to take until the weekend or after at 18% after 20 hours.

Just clutching at straws here to see if anyone else has observed this, and ideally found a resolution.
Regards
John B
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Slow File Level Restore after upgrade to Veeam 11

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
do you have the performance issues _only_ with restore, or also with backup? As far as I see, you are already testing reg keys that bring back the V10 behavior.

In general: yes, active full or defragment files reduces mount times.

Best regards,
Hannes
JRBeaver
Service Provider

Post by JRBeaver »

Hi Hannes,
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't noticed any slow down in the backups, I've just checked some history and they don't seem to have increased.

I've had one restore mount in 3 hours 14 minutes after the reg key was added, still slower than the average 1:45 for that site, I'm testing with some more sites also. However one of the original sites that has had the changes is still trying to mount after 4 and a half hours, previous were 1:07 and 1:49.
Regards
John B
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

hmm okay... did you / support check that definitely the correct mount-server is used? just to make sure that it doesn't happen just by chance that you are mounting over WAN.
JRBeaver
Service Provider

Post by JRBeaver »

yes, the mount server is the backup server and we also tried using the backup host.
FYI, the environment for this site is production host with production VMs, backup host which hosts the backup VM, all equipment in the same rack including the NAS and all connected to the one switch.
I also built separate VMs for Veeam on both hosts and imported the backups into these with the same result.
Regards
John B
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

okay, I expected when you talk about clients, that it is about a distributed environment with slow network connections in between.

As of now, I can only recommend to continue working with support to find the reason. Issues with restores while having no issues with backups are nothing I have seen so far for V11.
JRBeaver
Service Provider

Post by JRBeaver »

Thanks HannesK, support do think it's a known issue, just that the fix they have isn't working in this case.

As for clients, no it's not over slow connections, we're an MSP so we provide Veeam backups to all our virtualised clients, this one has multiple sites and each has their own backup server with all local infrastructure, the only WAN involved is for the offsite copies.
Regards
John B
desmond shio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shio Soon Chyuan

Post by desmond shio »

Hi JRBeaver,

I also facing same issues, any update so far?

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

as far as I see in the case comments, UseUnbufferedAccess = 0 solved it in this situation. But that doesn't mean that it also solves it for you.
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Post by pirx »

Case 05084535: our first FLR session is currently running after v10 -> v11a. Restore of 18 files with 37,9GB is now already running for more than 17h.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for opening a case. I believe you've already checked that the correct mount server is being utilized, right? What about backup performance? Have you run any backup jobs since the upgrade and what was the performance?
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

It's one of our physical Veeam proxies which was used for the last 5 years. Backup performance to XFS repository is not different to before upgrade.

Code: Select all

23:39:17	Using backup proxy xxxx for retrieving Hard disk 1 data from storage snapshot on vdesvc01 	00:07
23:39:25	Hard disk 1 (50 GB) 338 MB read at 131 MB/s [CBT]	00:08
23:39:42	Using backup proxy xxxx for retrieving Hard disk 2 data from storage snapshot on vdesvc01 	02:15
23:41:59	Hard disk 2 (30 GB) 512 MB read at 146 MB/s [CBT]	00:07
23:42:09	Finalizing 	00:18
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The restore session logs should point to the bottleneck, let's give our engineers time to review those.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx » 1 person likes this post

Sorry for the noise, our case is firewall related!