Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Small Business Server 2011

Post by ejenner »

I was trying to install Veeam on a Small Business Server 2011 but on the splash screen for the installation most of the tiles are greyed out stating that the system does not meet requirements.

As SBS 2011 is really Windows 2008 server it seems like the installation shouldn't be blocked. I'm guessing Veeam checks to see if it is a 2008 server.... but because it's 'SBS' it won't install.

I found if I work around the splash screen and go and execute components manually I can install Veeam. It's just the splash screen which is uncooperative.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Small Business Server 2011

Post by wishr »

Hi EJ,

We require at least 2008 R2 SP1, I think SP1 is not a part of the SBS 2011 bundle so it did not pass the prerequisite check. Could you please verify if SP1 is installed and give it one more try. Please note, that we have not specifically tested SBS installation scenarios.

Thanks,
Fedor
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Ok, I'll check to see if it has SP1. It should do as Automatic Updates are enabled on it.

At the moment, what I think is that the Veeam setup checks to see what the operating system is by checking a line somewhere which identifies which version of Windows it is. In the case of a Small Business Server it will be pushing a different version number or description which isn't on Veeams list of compatible operating systems.

It's a fairly old OS now, so probably not much interest in making it work... although I'm sure for various reasons there are still likely millions of installations still running. It's probably a very simple fix... as I say, it's 2008 under the skin... it just identifies differently for marketing purposes.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi EJ,

Some users have reported that SP1 installation did the trick so hopefully, it will help you as well. Anyway, we should clarify this aspect before moving further because we are not aware of such installation issues with 2008 R2 SP1, and personally, I'm absolutely not sure the version "number/description" of the build in the SBS bundle differs from the common 2008 R2.

Regards,
Fedor