Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

SMB bad candidate & NAS

Post by jmc »

hello @all,

i read the forum digest every monday. today i am a bit confused because gostev draws attention to the smb problem. we use some qnap or synology nas as backup repository via smb share. do we have to replace them all or reconfigure them to iscsi?

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: SMB bad candidate & NAS

Post by Gostev »

Yes, reconfiguring to iSCSI is usually the easiest, so this is what we've been universally recommending to users impacted by this issue. Thanks!
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hi gostev,

when i only need a point to point connection from VBR to NAS, whould you prefer the iscsi connection per vmware or connect direct per windows iscsi. do you have any knowledge in this regard?

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

gostev,

here are an additional question. when i check the backup with the backup validator, how fast i get the data corruption error.
Background: the error only occurs if the connection was interrupted. Since this shouldn't happen so often, a quick test with the validator would be a possibility to find errors and in case of a message to create. However, if the entire backup has to be checked, it is too time-consuming for a daily routine.

jeff
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backup Validator calculates checksums for all data in the backup chain.