So I need to Replicate 24/7/365 but we also want backups...

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: So I need to Replicate 24/7/365 but we also want backups

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi,

Prod:
4 x ESXi Hosts, 1 Cluster
1 x NetApp FAS8020 with SnapMirror/Snap Vault Licenses
1 x FC connected Physical Proxy
I'd recommend you to stick with a direct-SAN approach here.

Offsite DR (we want this to be a running replica of Prod with as low of an RPO as we can get):
Minimal time interval is to start new replication cycle as soon as the previous one has finished.

We don't really use SnapMirror/SnapVault in our current design but maybe we should.
Yes, you should give it a try as it will reduce the load on your primary storage (actually, backup operations will not touch your primary storage at all thus preserving its performance), all I/O load will go to your secondary array. That will allow you to configure replication with your production storage being the source. Pleas check this article.

Another option would be to use replica from backup feature as Nikita's suggested.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 273 times

[MERGED] Live replication of a VM

Veeam Logoby stevedem » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,

I manage a datacenter, and now the client askt us te create a diversion location in case of and catastrofix failure on the primary location.
This is not very exiting, i replicate the servers at night to the other location, this works well.

But there is one server, wich runs a special software wich changes every few minutes.
it hosts an access db, en some folders with files.

Is there a way to live replicatie this server ?
So every change made to the primary server imediatly replicates to the second server ( 1 minute delay can be alowed )

Can i achieve that by making an replication job, en set the schedule to "continuously" ?
stevedem
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Steve de Munck

Re: Live replication of a VM

Veeam Logoby Pat490 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 pm

upcoming version 10 will bring new CDP (Continuous Data Protection) feature which does exactly what you want!

https://go.veeam.com/v10
Pat490
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Patrick

Re: Live replication of a VM

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Steve and welcome to the community!

You cannot replicate every minute right now, but as Patrick mentioned above, we are going to implement new feature named CDP in Veeam B&R v10.
It would be hard to replicate every minute due to the fact that replication job has to create and delete the VM snapshot during every job pass.
However, there is a couple approaches available right now, please review this existing discussion. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 72 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby stevedem » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks, i will search for alternatives.

Is there a release date know for v10 ?
stevedem
Lurker

Full Name: Steve de Munck

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am

Hi Steve,

I cannot share any dates yet, but feel free to subscribe to that webpage to be among the first ones to know about the release! Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

live and realtime replication

Veeam Logoby student1363 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:19 am

Hi,

I am not quite familiar with whole WEEAM products and their features, so I am asking here.
Is it possible or better say, has VEEAM a solution to have 2 sites replicating in real time? (like DAG in microsoft exchange if you are familiar with)
I have 2 sites in two cities connected via a limited-bandwidth WAN connection. My infrastructure is VMWare ESXi 6 and I have around 30 VMs which I want to have in my second (backup) site too.
I read about Replica but it is not live and automatic replication, it is a scheduled incremental backup. I want 2 VMs in 2 sites replicate their data automatically and continuously.
is it possible?

Thanks in advance
student1363
Novice

Full Name: elysa sadegh

[MERGED] Re: live and realtime replication

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:31 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Elysa,

It's not possible with the current version of the product, but one of the major features called Veeam CDP (Continuous Data Protection) will be available in the upcoming version 10.
Please review the link for additional information about Veeam CDP and other features. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication