Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
remko.de.koning
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Remko de Koning

SOLVED: Restoring individual files to a Windows Server 2012

Post by remko.de.koning »

Hi there, new here and thought I would share a problem we had a few days ago.

During a restore test of individual files with Veeam Backup & Replication 7 we discovered a problem restoring files to one of our Windows Server 2012 R2 file servers.
The backups were running fantastic but when we tried to restore a single file we encountered a problem.
(I do apologize for not having the error message available but from what I could remember it was quite cryptic.)
Restoring files from any other system worked without a problem. It was just our fileserver that was giving problems.

After some thought we realized that we had Data Deduplication enabled on one of the volumes of this server.

The solutions for our restore problem was quite simple afterwards. We installed the datadeduplication role on our backup server and rebooted the machine.
Restore were OK after this.

Hope this helps for anyone else that encounters this problem.

Remko
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SOLVED: Restoring individual files to a Windows Server 2

Post by foggy »

Correct, to be able to restore files from deduplicated volumes, backup server must be installed on Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 with Data Deduplication feature enabled in the OS settings (this is mentioned in the release notes document). Thanks.