Source backup file has different block size

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Source backup file has different block size

Veeam Logoby briguyiu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm

I did the first step, I just don't see anything related to block size here in the replication job???

briguyiu
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:02 pm

You're at the right place. See these instructions on the first page from obroni:

obroni wrote:If you need to change the replication block size:-

1. Set the replication job back to source vm
2. Change Block size (optimization) to match backup job
3. Run replication job and wait for it to recalc digests
4. Finally set Replication job back to source of back up job

Hope this helps!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby briguyiu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Oh, ok. I thought I would see something with the words block size. I just checked my backup jobs and they all have Local Target...So, I'll do the same for my replication jobs and let them run tonight, and then switch the source tomorrow. Thanks!
briguyiu
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:37 pm

If you have the disk space available, you can instead change the backup job to match the block size (Optimization) of the replication job. BUT you have to then run an active full backup to actually change the block size (hence the need for disk space).
averylarry
Expert

Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Ted

[MERGED] : v8 - Replication issue

Veeam Logoby dspjones » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 pm

We've installed v8 several weeks ago and unfortunately other issues have prevented me from doing much else with Veeam. Finally I have some time to delve into the new features and I set our replication job from replicating the live environment to replicating from backup over WAN optimization. It seems to work but all of the servers now show a warning in the job.

I get this:

WARNING: A restore point is located in backup file with a different block size (xxxx KB expected)

What's going on and how do I resolve?

Thanks.
dspjones
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Your post has been merged into existing discussion talking about the same issue. Kindly, check answers provided above. In nutshell, you have to change block size settings of replication job to match those of backup job.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby fluxblocker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 pm 1 person likes this post

I got this same error message when trying to replicate the backup jobs to a DR site. I was able to fix it by deleting and recreating the replication job. Also recommended to delete any replica VMs in the DR site with the same name.

:evil:
Best,
Flux
fluxblocker
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Samuel L Sanders Jr

Veeam Logoby TheJourney » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:04 pm 1 person likes this post

The Replication jobs don't error and fail. They are just set to Warning, but have actually failed. I had no idea they were not actually running, until I needed one...

NOT GOOD!
TheJourney
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Sam Journagan

Veeam Logoby TheJourney » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:39 pm

obroni wrote:If you need to change the replication block size:-

1. Set the replication job back to source vm
2. Change Block size (optimization) to match backup job
3. Run replication job and wait for it to recalc digests
4. Finally set Replication job back to source of back up job

This did not help my issue. Replication jobs still fail.
TheJourney
Influencer

Veeam Logoby TheJourney » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:46 pm

fluxblocker wrote:I got this same error message when trying to replicate the backup jobs to a DR site. I was able to fix it by deleting and recreating the replication job. Also recommended to delete any replica VMs in the DR site with the same name.

:evil:
Best,
Flux

I had to delete the Failing replication jobs and recreate them as well. My system was an upgrade from 7.x.

Sam.
TheJourney
Influencer

Veeam Logoby TheJourney » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I actually only had to del the Replicas, not the jobs. After deleting the replicas the jobs run as they should.
TheJourney
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Felix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:37 am 1 person likes this post

I had the same problem, because the block size autodetection for copy jobs is faulty. All my source backup jobs had blocksize 1024 (LAN target optimization), but some of them had older restorepoints that were made with blocksize 512 (Default/Local target), so the autodetection assumed blocksize 512 and copy jobs failed.

To fix it I disabled the copy job, removed the jobs backup files from disk, went into PowerShell and did the following:
Code: Select all
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "USB Backup Copy"
$Options = $Job.GetOptions()
$Options.BackupStorageOptions.StgBlockSize = "KbBlockSize1024"
$job.SetOptions($Options)

After that I re-enabled the copy job and on the second run it started working.

This would be much easier to fix if the copy job options allowed to manually set the storage optimization.
Felix
Enthusiast

Full Name: Felix Buenemann

Veeam Logoby tommyv » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 am

FYI, I had this issue running a copy job from one DataDomain to another DataDomain. I followed tsightler's procedure and it fixed the problem. I suspect its because the original backup job storage optimization setting was changed and there is no way of updating the optimization in the copy job. Thanks for the help. :D

tsightler wrote:Sounds like your jobs are mostly configured to use "WAN" optimization instead of "Local". You can't mix jobs with two different optimizations into the same Backup Copy. However, if you've somehow already run a backup copy and the interval expired or otherwise ended (perhaps by triggering a "force sync") I've seen cases where the Backup Copy transfers nothing at all, but creates the metadata file assuming 1M blocks so future runs will fail with this message.

It should be possible to recover from this situation by disabling the Backup Copy job, going to the Backups and right clicking and selecting "Delete from disk" to delete any backups associated with that backup copy job, but be sure to also check the "Remove archived backups" option. Note that this will DELETE all information from the disk associated with that Backup Copy job so only do this if you know there is nothing in the Backup Copy you want to keep.

Just reenable the copy job and don't interrupt it until it starts copying data (don't do a force sync or anything like that). If data won't start copying on the first pass without selecting "force sync" then you need to understand why as selecting force sync will likely cause the error to reoccur.
tommyv
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom Vernon

Veeam Logoby Felix » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:18 am

I think the problem is, that a job still reports the block size it was originally created with instead of the block size it currently uses. I have jobs that don't have a single restore point with an older block size, but querying StgBlockSize through powershell still reports the old block size so creating copy jobs for those jobs fail.
Felix
Enthusiast

Full Name: Felix Buenemann

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Felix wrote:I think the problem is, that a job still reports the block size it was originally created with instead of the block size it currently uses. I have jobs that don't have a single restore point with an older block size, but querying StgBlockSize through powershell still reports the old block size so creating copy jobs for those jobs fail.

Any chance you've populated the backup copy job from backups/infrastructure (as opposed to selecting particular backup jobs)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication