Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ekranz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed Kranz

Split datacenter redundancy?

Post by ekranz »

We are just finishing up the architecture of splitting out datacenter between two locations. Each location will have about half of our productions servers running, with capacity to run all production servers in a DR event. The basic layout is that each building has a number of host servers, a production fiber channel SAN, and a fiber channel SAN dedicated to Veeam. The networking is flat between the two buildings.

We have not yet moved production servers to the second site. Our existing Veeam environment is a physical server running the Veeam Backup service, enterprise manager, and proxy, and an additional virtual machine running as a second proxy.

My plan was to set up one physical server and one virtual server at the second location to act as simple proxies, with the physical doing most of the work.

My concern is that in a DR event where we lose the first site, backups wouldn’t run at the second site.

What would be the best way to mitigate this risk? Will we need to have a Veeam server at each site (and lose the single pane of glass), or is it possible to quickly recreate the Veeam server at the second site and not have to rebuild the jobs? Are there other solutions that I haven’t thought of?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Split datacenter redundancy?

Post by foggy »

ekranz wrote:Will we need to have a Veeam server at each site (and lose the single pane of glass), or is it possible to quickly recreate the Veeam server at the second site and not have to rebuild the jobs?
Ed, starting from v6.5 Veeam B&R provides the ability to perform backup of its configuration by retrieving all configuration data from its SQL database. So, in case of disaster, all you need to do is just re-install Veeam B&R and import configuration from backup including all the jobs, which is really fast.

You might also want to review this thread for some other options for protecting Veeam B&R server: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?