Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

split files in repositories?

Post by ejenner »

Hi All.

Just a quick question. Not a support issue.

What causes Veeam to split files in the repositories into 5TB~ish chunks?

I've checked some of my recent copy jobs and expected to see the usual 10TB+ .VBK files lurking in the repositories but instead I'm seeing what I consider a portion of the backup to be located in several files as if the data is being spread. I can see the usual .VBK full which is a few TBs and then a small handful of .VIB incrementals sharing the rest of the data but still being large multi-TB files in their own right.

Is this a change in the software or just a consequence of the job configuration and has always been the case for some job types?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: split files in repositories?

Post by foggy »

Are all of the restore points complete? In case the job is not able to complete in the required backup window, it will continue during the next cycle storing the data it didn't manage to copy in the next restore point.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I've seen it in a few different copy jobs. I checked more than one to see if it was happening elsewhere.

I asked if it was a change because previously it hasn't looked like that.

In the past what I would usually see would be one enormous .VBK and then the daily increments.

It is showing a version for each day but I can see it is spreading data across all the days so I seriously doubt each point would have all of the data... just the last one and then subsequent increments.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as my colleague mentioned: the only situation where splitting of VBK files can happen is "incomplete" restore points. And this only can happen on the first run of the backup copy job.

In general: the software does not have functionality to split files on disk depositories

Best regards,
Hannes
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I've seen with a new backup copy that's been running for 5 days the following:

1. Primary backup completes
2. Backup admin (me) creates Backup Copy Job
3. Backup Copy job starts running to copy the primary job to the secondary storage
4. The copy job appears to lock the files it is copying and the primary backup starts failing
5. Once the copy job has moved onto another file the primary backup starts to succeed and run daily incrementals
6. A SECOND backup Copy Job appears under the 'Running' jobs section.

Look at the start dates and Status. The original copy job begins and is still part completed when the second job starts:

On the back end the files look like the backup jobs:

HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yes, sounds like first BCJ run (which is the only situation, where "splitting" files is possible). The jobs view might need a refresh (F5).