Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
johnlockie
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

SQL Backup Job Optimization....

Post by johnlockie »

Everything about Veeam works amazing...I am only having questions about 1 thing.

When backing up our SQL server I notice it's the only time that Veeam reports the bottleneck as being the source rather than the proxy! I have killed every test backup to date, when based on calculations it would take about as long to back up as going direct to tape. (2MB/s)

We have a busy server, but I am positive there are much larger/busier databases out there being backed up with Veeam.

I also have not found a way to exclude certain INSTANCES or databases....it's all or nothing (we have multiple instances on 1 SQL VM), or I can exclude certain VMDK disks....but not granular to the point that I can exclude an instance, right?

Any advice out there?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SQL Backup Job Optimization....

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,
johnlockie wrote:When backing up our SQL server I notice it's the only time that Veeam reports the bottleneck as being the source rather than the proxy! I have killed every test backup to date, when based on calculations it would take about as long to back up as going direct to tape. (2MB/s)

We have a busy server, but I am positive there are much larger/busier databases out there being backed up with Veeam.
Yes, you're right, there are busier databases, however the behavior is the same in all the cases. Please take a look at one of the existing topics for more info: Slow VM backup with SQL Server 2008 R2
johnlockie wrote:I also have not found a way to exclude certain INSTANCES or databases....it's all or nothing (we have multiple instances on 1 SQL VM), or I can exclude certain VMDK disks....but not granular to the point that I can exclude an instance, right?
Yes, it's all or nothing. Veeam B&R is an image-based backup solution, you cannot exclude anything within the Guest OS, however as you've correctly noted, Veeam B&R allows excluding certain virtual disks.

Thanks!
johnlockie
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: SQL Backup Job Optimization....

Post by johnlockie »

Thanks, we will find an alternate way around this.

Granted, I did try to exclude the database volumes from backup, and I got the same response (2MB/s). We can do SQL maintenance to handle recovery...but with the incredible performance I got on Exchange Veeam backup I was surprised/dissapointed by the SQL poor performance.

Everything is amazing though....could not believe how capable this product is. One of the few that lives up to the hype/marketing.