Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1343 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL Backups and 9.5U3

Post by foggy » Jul 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Marcus, please contact technical support for a closer look at what's happening.

dloseke
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke » Jul 13, 2018 3:37 pm

FYI, I was getting the below error after upgrading from 9.0 to 9.5 3a.

Code: Select all

7/12/2018 10:51:36 PM :: [TDB]Unable to update SQL backupset for instance  : Code = 0x80040e09
Code meaning = IDispatch error #3081
Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description = The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.
I just wanted to note that I granted sysadmin access to our Veeam service account on all database instances, reran the jobs and everything was successful for me.

Strangely, I have one instance with databases using the simple recovery model that have always had a warning because Veeam was attempting to truncate logs (I haven't changed this setting because the job is also truncating logs on SQL servers using the Full recovery model). After the sysadmin rights were added, the warning has disappeared as well and the jobs reports that logs were truncated. Seems strange to me, but my goal of getting past the new error and having successful backups was achieved, so I guess I'm not going to question it.

318BigDaddy
Lurker
Full Name: JEFF D DEYO

Post by 318BigDaddy » Jul 17, 2018 2:06 pm

I am having the same error after upgrading to 3a.
Is there an estimated release date for this "hotfix" mentioned above?

Thank you.

StuartB
Lurker
Full Name: Stuart Boyne

Post by StuartB » Jul 27, 2018 9:42 am

Having the same problem after upgrade to 9.5U3a

Only happens on 2 SQL databases and they are all set to "Perform copy only (lets another application use logs)". We want SQL server to truncate the logs and not Veeam. It's strange that not all of the SQL databases are reporting the same error.

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Jul 27, 2018 10:13 am

Hi Stuart, some of the required permissions are instance/database level, not having them for the particular database might be the reason of the observed warnings. You can either check permissions for the account used to process databases in question or apply the hotfix mentioned above, to switch the warnings to informational messages.

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Jul 27, 2018 10:14 am

318BigDaddy wrote:I am having the same error after upgrading to 3a.
Is there an estimated release date for this "hotfix" mentioned above?
Hi Jeff, it is already available. Thanks.

bjdboyer
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

[MERGED] SQL Update Permission denied after Update3a

Post by bjdboyer » Aug 03, 2018 2:20 pm

OK since applying Update3a a couple days ago I've been getting a lot of these "warning" messages in the job logs I didn't get before. Alsmost all of them are on SQLEXPRESS instances that were installed as part of an applicaiton on the server. KB2689 has below to say about the errors, but none of the VM's has the "Backup logs periodically" option enabled.

So how can I either resolve this issue or stop these @#$&^% warning messages in my jobs? It generates support tickets in our system for each one of these and they're not really "errors" if I'm reading correctly.

From KB2689:
In addition, backup jobs for SQL Servers VM with Backup logs periodically option enabled for transaction log backup may complete with warning message:

Unable to update SQL backupset for instance SQLEXPRESS : Code = 0x80040e09 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3081 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description = The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.

Bill

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2801 times

Post by Gostev » Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Did you install the hot fix from KB2689?

bjdboyer
Enthusiast

Post by bjdboyer » Aug 03, 2018 3:17 pm

I already fixed the ones that failed due to the logon as batch policy. And apparently from reading this attached thread I was getting the UPDATE warnings before. Just not seeing them. I'll try to see if I can get the customers (we're are an MSP) to update the instances to make sure the Veeam user is sysadmin. Some of these may not be possible as SQLEXPRESS installed along with another application and they may not have credentials to connect and grant the required permission. Most of the jobs are running wiht credentials that are either local admin, part of the administrator group or a domain admin account. Named instances probably won't be a problem.

I'm afraid to upgrade my other MSP datacenter for fear of what Update3a may uncover. the logon as batch is probably the biggest "hit" we'll take for the SQL servers. I've found that Windows2003 doesn't include the administrator group, but later Windows versions appear to have that included by default.

Thanks,
Bill

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm

KB2689 also fixes the warning due to lack of UPDATE permission (changes one into the info event).

bjdboyer
Enthusiast

Post by bjdboyer » Aug 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Now here's a strange one. This VM QMMSQL2 backs up just fine and the userid is Sysadmin to SQL server, but i still get the warning. interesting is there is no instance listed in the message.

QMMSQL2 Warning 7:59:09 AM 8:01:34 AM 420.0 GB 14.7 GB 7.1 GB 0:02:25 [TDB]Unable to update SQL backupset for instance : Code = 0x80040e09 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3081 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description = The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm

There are no known issues with the KB2689 hotfix, so please work with support to investigate your situation. Thanks!

bbittner
Lurker
Full Name: Benjamin Bittner

Post by bbittner » Aug 17, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,
thanks for all the detailed information about this problem, it helped me to find a solution.
Because we have multiple SQLExpress-installation without SMS, I looked up for a better solution than installing this huge SW-package just to change user roles.

I found quite a good solution with PowerShell and I wanted to share it here.
After testing it on 2 different installations, it looks quite promising. I'll roll it out on all of our systems now.

Code: Select all

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO') | out-null;

$sqlSrv = New-Object 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server' "<HOSTNAME>\SQLEXPRESS"

$login = New-Object -TypeName Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Login -ArgumentList $sqlSrv, "<DOMAIN>\<USER>"
$login.LoginType = "(WindowsGroup|WindowsUser)"
$login.Create()
$login.AddToRole("sysadmin")
$login.Alter()
Please adjust the hostname (and eventually the instance), the login (user/group) and the LoginType to your needs.
An option would be to use "BUILTIN\Administrators" as login, so normally this means lokal admins and domains-admins.

@Veeam,
Maybe also add this to KB2477

BR
ben

bjesteadt
Novice
Full Name: Brian Jesteadt

[MERGED] Backup warnings - version 9.5 post update 3a

Post by bjesteadt » Aug 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Once we updated to version 3a of B&R 9.5, we started getting warnings on our SQL backups, saying it couldn't truncate our transaction logs. This isn't a big deal, because we typically use SQL native backups to do transaction log truncation, so we don't need transaction logs truncated.

The solution is to give Veeam more access in SQL, but we have one "black box" SQL instance that is installed on one or our servers, as part of a licensing software package (I think, not entirely sure). I don't have access to change the permissions on this SQL instance, or even see the tables contained in SQL. So Veeam support says I can either just deal with the daily warning in my backup results, or I can stop the SQL instance. Neither solution thrills me. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

For reference, Veeam case # is 03100599.

Brian

jdavidson_waters
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: James Davidson

Re: Backup warnings - version 9.5 post update 3a

Post by jdavidson_waters » Aug 20, 2018 8:56 pm

See workaround in this KB:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2689
@jam_davidson