johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

SQL connection string:Might be a product enhancement request

Post by johannesk »

Hi,

I worked this out with case #01891274

I configured our Veeam Server to use a SQL db on a SQL Server 2014 system configured in AAG. With the Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe tool I configured the listener name of the Availability group and the port name with it like this :

sql-listener.domain.com,1433

The Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe tool did not complain, and Veeam worked fine with just a few exceptions. Few vm's are occationally failing their backup and this error is in the job log:

" Error Cannot obtain IP address for the SQL server sql-listener.domain.com,1433.[29.08.2016 11:21:52] <01> Error No such host is known "

It seems like something is taking the SQL connection string and trying to resolve it to an ip address. That might be a good idea, or maybe it's not necessary (only about 5 of 700 vm's fail backup).

In any case, since the connecction string taken from the Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe tool is used to resolve to IP address, the Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe tool should not allow the port name to be specified.

Just something for you developers at Veeam to check out. Hence the case number.

regards,
Johannes