Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlexB
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Beck

SQL error when mapping backup job

Post by AlexB »

Hello everybody

I wanted to map a backup job to an existing backup copy job on a remote server. I thought this should not be a problem, but the job fails with this error message:

Error: Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable. Possible reasons are heavy load, networking issue, server reboot, or hot backup. Please wait, and try again later.

Error information:
The DELETE statement conflicted with the SAME TABLE REFERENCE constraint "FK_OIBs_OIBs". The conflict occurred in database "VeeamBackup", table "dbo.Backup.Model.OIBs", column 'link_id'.
The statement has been terminated.

The job runs fine without mapping and the same error comes up on a freshly setup B&R server.

I already opened a ticket (#487546) a few days ago, but - dissapointingly - except a suggestion to reboot the server I got no response from support.

Can someone imagine what is going wrong here?

AlexB
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL error when mapping backup job

Post by foggy »

Indeed, looks like some kind of database issue. I recommend escalating your case to a higher tier for more thorough investigation.

Btw, is this the only backup job that provides error (have you tried mapping other jobs)?
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

I tried several jobs from different Servers. All of them are failing the same way.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

AlexB wrote:The job runs fine without mapping and the same error comes up on a freshly setup B&R server.
Does this backup server also use the same SQL Server/database or it is a fully fresh installation?
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Does this backup server also use the same SQL Server/database or it is a fully fresh installation?
I tried it on existing and fully fresh installed B&R servers. Each server uses ist own SQL database.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Is this the only backup file you're mapping to that always produces error? Are you able to map jobs to other backups? Just trying to localize the issue...
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

foggy wrote:Is this the only backup file you're mapping to that always produces error? Are you able to map jobs to other backups? Just trying to localize the issue...
I have this issue with several backups, but all of them have been created by backup copy jobs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any similar issues with mapping to regular backup files?
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Do you have any similar issues with mapping to regular backup files?
No, mapping to regular Jobs works.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...ok, let's see what our support team says after reviewing the debug logs of backup copy jobs.
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

I hope you can speed up things a little bit. I was promised to definitely receive a call from Support *yesterday*, but haven't heard anything since then.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I've forwarded your request to support manager.
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

Thanks for your help.
AlexB
Influencer

Post by AlexB »

After investigation by veeam support it turned out that backup jobs can only be mapped to copy jobs when they contain just one restore Point (one .vbk and .vbm file). It *may* work with more restore Points, like it did for some of my jobs, but according to veeam it's not a supported Scenario.
Also this is not in the documentation by now. So think about changing from backup to copy jobs - if you are unhappy with them, you can't revert back without loosing the backup chain or starting a new backup Job.

AlexB
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

AlexB wrote:After investigation by veeam support it turned out that backup jobs can only be mapped to copy jobs when they contain just one restore Point (one .vbk and .vbm file). It *may* work with more restore Points, like it did for some of my jobs, but according to veeam it's not a supported Scenario.
Actually this is not true, as regular backup job can be mapped to a backup chain with any number of increments. I assume support engineer has confused this with the fact that backup copy job can only be mapped to a single VBK, which is indeed true. I recommend you to escalate the issue for further investigation as there should be another reason for your errors.
Vlint
Lurker
Full Name: Thijs Griepink

Post by Vlint »

Since this day my Backup Copy job generates the same error. I don't know why. It might be temporarily, But I'm very curious if a solution was found: this thread states only the problem so far. Was there a solution? Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please contact technical support for issue verification.