Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

SQL log backup with pre-script

Post by Regnor »

Hi!

One of our customers asked me if there's a possibility to run a custom pre-script before the SQL transaction log backup happens.
The Pre-freeze scripts inside the guest processing are only executed during the regular backups so they won't work here.
Can the transaction log backup process be customized or is there a way to add additional scripts/queries?

If not, would the v12 SQL plugin offer such capabilites?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SQL log backup with pre-script

Post by PetrM »

Hi Max,

No, it's not possible to run pre-freeze scripts before T-log backup. But I'm very curious to know for which reason do you need it?

The SQL plug-in will allow the creation of SQL Agent jobs that can be modified later according to your needs, for instance, to adjust schedules and create additional job steps to run scripts. Also, it would be possible to create a CLI script that can be used later with other existing scripts.

Thanks!
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Hi Petr,

thanks for your reply. Then I'll suggest the customer to wait for v12 and check out the SQL plugin.

The customer or the DBA wants to export/copy the transaction logs via script, before they get processed by the Veeam SQL log backup.
I don't have more technical details, but as long as the script doesn't touch/change the transaction logs it won't have an effect on Veeam.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Max,

Many thanks again for clarifications and happy to hear that you're going to test our new plug-in. It would be awesome if you could ask your customer to explain what's the purpose of exporting/copy of T-logs before they are processed by Veeam, I still don't manage to understand the use case. If the customer needs it for data redundancy, probably he can leverage our backup copy job in Immediate mode ( the bottom checkbox ) and have an additional copy of log backups in Veeam infrastructure.

Thanks!