Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

SQL Restore to specific transaction

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi

Whats required to be able to restore to a specific transaction for a SQL backup?

Background: Veeam has been running for a while with AAP turned on for all our SQL servers but set to do COPY_ONLY backups of the databases due to us using standard SQL tools for backup while we get Veeam bedded down and everything working. That's now done and I've enabled full log backups for Veeam with a 15 minute interval. I've done a backup with those settings and have multiple successful log backups since that time but still I'm unable to restore to a specific point in time for the databases.The "Restore to a pint in time" option is grayed out in SQL Explorer so I'm wondering what I've missed.

Do I have to perform an Active Full backup before the log backups will start being restoreable?

Thanks
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Re: SQL Restore to specific transaction

Post by DaveWatkins »

Interestingly, from the SQL explorer I can export and restore to a point in time if I try to restore from the VM object itself, but trying to restore from the instance or a single DB I can't select that. Also none of my DB's (in Full mode, not Simple) have anything listed under "Available Restore Period"
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

DaveWatkins wrote:Interestingly, from the SQL explorer I can export and restore to a point in time if I try to restore from the VM object itself, but trying to restore from the instance or a single DB I can't select that.
Dave, please open a case for investigation, this doesn't look expected.
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

Oddly after a second backup it seems to be working now. No idea what happened initially but all looks fine now. This setup is on a fairly low use server to make sure everything works and we'll be rolling it out to the AAG Cluster if all goes well so if it happens again then I'll open a case
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks, that would be much appreciated.