Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ekleffman
Novice
Liked: never

SQL Server 2014 backup method

Post by ekleffman »

I have searched and read, but I have not come across an answer to a specific question. I think I know the answer, but just to make sure….

I would like to use Veeam to backup our SQL Server 2014 databases and transaction logs. Also after the full backup from Veeam, I would like to do a full backup from SQL Server to a .bak file. This should be possible as long as I use the “Copy Only” option coming out of SQL Server. I just want to make sure I don’t screw up the Veeam SQL Server backup job.

Things like rebuilding indexes on the database would be ok using the maintenance plans in SQL Server correct? Things like that won’t render the Veeam backup unusable…

Thanks in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL Server 2014 backup method

Post by Dima P. »

Hi and welcome to the community ekleffman.

Are you going to take the full SQL backup via native tools on a scheduled basis or thats going to be a manual operation? Thanks.
ekleffman
Novice

Post by ekleffman »

Yes, we would use the native tools in SQL Server. Using Veeams functionality for SQL Server backups is our first choice. Policy demands that we move a .bak file off site. I just need to make sure this procedure doesn't get the Veeam backup out of sync or something like that.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Provided the Copy Only option is used, you should be fine.
ekleffman
Novice

Post by ekleffman »

Thank you so much!