Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jessey316
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jessey Clarke

SQL Server for Veeam Configuration Database

Post by jessey316 »

Hi,

I am currently planning to deploy Veeam B&R and wondered if anyone can advise on best practice for the SQL server holding the configuration database. Mainly I wanted to understand:

Disk Space requirements?
I see in the guide in mentions OS and SQL version but I do not see anything regarding space. I assume it shouldn't need a great deal of space

Resilience for SQL server (part 1)? I understand Veeam does it own backup of the configuration database to the repository but can a SQL server in a cluster by used for resiliency purposed?

Resilience for SQL server (part 2)? I also read that a SQL server in a cluster cannot be used as a staging server. Does this mean an additional server would be needed? Ideally, I would want to use the same server holding the configuration database as the staging also

Hope those questions make sense.

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: SQL Server for Veeam Configuration Database

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

You may want to review our Best Practices documentation, as it provides a lot of good information in this regard.

1. Absolutely correct. For example, SQL Express is fine up to 500 VMs, but it has hard 10GB limit for the database size.

2. Yes, certainly.

3. Yes, sounds like you will need a dedicated server. However, please note that the staging server is not required for most features to work (for example, contrary to popular belief, the most commonly used point-in-time database restores do not require it).

Thanks!