Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
j.harrison
Lurker
Liked: never

SQL Upgrade

Post by j.harrison »

Hi All,

We currently have Veeam Backup and Replication with a SQL 2005 Express back-end DB (installed before I started here). We are looking at installing ArcServe on the same machine, but the version we are looking at testing needs SQL 2008 express.

I've had a google but I couldn't find anything information about Veeam having issues if we upgrade SQL 2005 Express on the server to SQL 2008 Express.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanjks for any input,
James.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: SQL Upgrade

Post by veremin »

As far as I know, there is none of the issues related to SQL upgrade.

Step-by-step process should look like this:

1. Download SQL Express 2008 R2 installation package from Microsoft.
2. Save it to your hard disk.
3. Stop all Veeam services.
4. Stop all running jobs, including restore jobs, SureBackup jobs and Instant VM Recovery sessions.
5. Open a CMD-Shell.
6. Go to the download directory.
7. Type:

Code: Select all

SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /action=upgrade
8. Follow the wizard and your SQL 2005 database installation will be automatically upgraded to 2008 R2.
9. Restart VB&R server.

If you’re using 6.5 version and still a little bit anxious about upgrade process, you can utilize configuration backup functionality before passing to the procedure described above. It can be put into use later on, if anything goes wrong.

If your version is a little bit older, then the insurance role can be played by SQL-database backup.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Stabz06
Influencer

[MERGED] : Veeam B&R Sharepoint restoration SQL error

Post by Stabz06 »

Hi everyone!
I am testing Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint, but I obtain this message after the task "Mounting restore point":
Error: The selected SharePoint database version is newer than any of the supported by the specified Microsoft SQL Server 2005 ('(local)\VEEAM' instance). Please open Veeam Explorer for SharePoint settings and specify Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 or higher to open this database.
I think, my Veeam database has been installed on a Microsoft SQL Server 2005.
I would to know if there is a simply solution for upgrade my Veeam database to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.

Kind regards,

Philippe
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Philippe,

The procedure described above should be your way to go.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Actually, there's no need to upgrade Veeam SQL database to address your issue, since you can just specify any other existing SQL Server instance as a SharePoint staging server.

If you do not have any, then in-place upgrade seems to be the easiest option. Be sure to backup Veeam B&R configuration prior upgrading SQL Server, if you decide to go this way.
Stabz06
Influencer

Post by Stabz06 »

Thanks for your quick answers!

I will take a look at it!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Let us know how the process goes. Thanks.
Stabz06
Influencer

Post by Stabz06 »

Hey guys!

Finally I found a instance which is in 2008 R2.

I tested to restore some items, with 100% success!

I keep in my mind your procedure for update SQL.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The procedure itself isn't hard to say the least, and as you can see some of our customers have upgraded their SQL instances successfully. Anyway, glad to hear that you're up and running now. Thanks.
tmontes
Lurker
Full Name: Tony Montes

Post by tmontes »

Hello,

We are trying to true up our Microsoft licences and going through looking for SQL instances that we need to license if we must have them. On one of my Veeam servers we have MS-SQL 2005, 2008, and 2008R2 showing up in Programs. As far as which database(s) Veeam is using I cannot tell what I can remove or uninstall and not affect Veeam.There is also a "SHAREPOINT" database on the same Veeam server. I know very little about SQL. How can I tell what was installed by Veeam and what I can safely uninstall without affecting Veeam? Is that Sharepoint Database anything that Veeam could have installed? This server has veen upgraded several times back to Veeam 5 I believe and is not at Veeam 7.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Tony
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mobin Qasim

[MERGED] : Veeam SQL Server DB Migration

Post by mobin.qasim »

Hi Guys,

I'm running Veeam 7 using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (X64) and now I'm planning to migrate Veeam DB to my another Server which is running SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. (vCenter DB is also running on SQL Server 2008 Enterprise planning to migrate it to SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise)

I'd like to know what would be the best practice to migrate Veeam DB from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 R2. Could I have any issues with Veeam DB schema etc by upgrading SQL Server 2008 DB to SQL Server 2008 R2.

I'd also like an advise on upgrading SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 R2, so I don't have to migrate DB from one server to another. Is this scenario better than the mentioned above?

Regards,

Mobin
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Mobin,

Your topic has been merged with an existing one, please see the thread. If any questions persist please let us know.

Thank you.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mobin Qasim

Post by mobin.qasim »

Hi, thanks for the merging topic. However, most of the comments are related to upgrade SQL Server itself. But I'm also looking to migrate Veeam DB from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 R2. Can I just take a backup of Veeam DB from SQL Server 2008 and restore it to SQL Server 2008 R2. Is there any configuration point in Veeam where I need to change the DB so it point to the new SQL Server 2008 R2?

Regards,

Mobin
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Can I just take a backup of Veeam DB from SQL Server 2008 and restore it to SQL Server 2008 R2
Sorry for misunderstanding. Yes, that will do the trick. Also please take a look at this thread.
Is there any configuration point in Veeam where I need to change the DB so it point to the new SQL Server 2008 R2?
Yes, please see this thread.
damager
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Mager

Post by damager »

Does VB&R support upgrading the local instance of SQL from SQL 2005 SP4 Express (which contains the VEEAM instance) to SQL 2012 SP2 Express?

Is that a supported configuration?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, but don't forget to backup Veeam B&R configuration prior to the upgrade, as it is mentioned above.
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl »

As you might know, the system requirements of Veeam Backup & Replications are here: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/e ... ments.html
Local or remote installation of the following versions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported:

•Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (Full and Express Edition)
•Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (Full and Express Edition; Express Edition is included in the setup)
•Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (Full and Express Edition)
•Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (Full and Express Edition)
•Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Full and Express Edition)
And when you follow the steps described by v.Eremin, then there should be no problem to upgrade your local SQL database.
v.Eremin wrote:As far as I know, there is none of the issues related to SQL upgrade.

Step-by-step process should look like this:

1. Download SQL Express 2008 R2 installation package from Microsoft.
2. Save it to your hard disk.
3. Stop all Veeam services.
4. Stop all running jobs, including restore jobs, SureBackup jobs and Instant VM Recovery sessions.
5. Open a CMD-Shell.
6. Go to the download directory.
7. Type:

Code: Select all

SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /action=upgrade
8. Follow the wizard and your SQL 2005 database installation will be automatically upgraded to 2008 R2.
9. Restart VB&R server.

If you’re using 6.5 version and still a little bit anxious about upgrade process, you can utilize configuration backup functionality before passing to the procedure described above. It can be put into use later on, if anything goes wrong.

If your version is a little bit older, then the insurance role can be played by SQL-database backup.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
damager
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Mager

Post by damager » 2 people like this post

Thanks guys. Upgrade completed. The only thing to note is that my SQL 2005 SP4 Express installation (originally installed by Veeam) was a 32-bit version, so I had to download and run the SQL 2012 SP2 Express SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe /action=upgrade (as opposed to the x64 version).
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl »

Hi damager,

Glad to hear that everything worked :-)
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
bbricker
Enthusiast
Liked: 27 times

Post by bbricker »

damager wrote:Thanks guys. Upgrade completed. The only thing to note is that my SQL 2005 SP4 Express installation (originally installed by Veeam) was a 32-bit version, so I had to download and run the SQL 2012 SP2 Express SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe /action=upgrade (as opposed to the x64 version).
Just wanted to say thanks for this... I was banging my head against the wall a couple hours before I scrolled to the end of this thread and found this. I love the Veeam community, it's one of the reasons I have a hard time even considering other products out there.

Any know if there is a major drawback to it being a 32bit SQL install? I went from SQL 2005 to 2012. Won't it limit itself to 3GB of memory or something? Is that an issue for VB&R? From what I've read, it's more of a pain to go to 64bit, essentially have to detach DB's, install 64bit, re-attach, and can't do that with master/msdb which if they are used by Veeam would be problematic. Almost sounds easier just to start from scratch and import stuff.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Unless you are protecting more than a few hundreds of VMs, you should not worry about going 64-bit.