Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VK-DMX
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Victor Armando Reyes Herrera

SQL VSS Writer is missing

Post by VK-DMX »

Hi good morning.

I have been several days with this problem in a backup of a SQL server that I have.
SQL VSS Writer is missing: databases will be backed up in crash-consistent state and transaction log processing will be skipped

As the environment is critical and it is in production, I cannot carry out modification tests, so I made a clone of the server and in this I am carrying out the tests if I am successful at the moment.

I have followed the recommendations of this KB
https://www.veeam.com/kb2095
Unsuccessfully.

The following was checked:
Databases do not contain spaces
The account under which the SQL VSS writer runs have a sysadmin role.
SQL VSS Writer, although the local services were running, does not appear in the vssadmin list writers list, so I specified it in the Log on service with the Administrator built in account, which is the one with the sysadmin role in the SQL VSS Writer. SQL server. After restarting the server, it already appears in the List writers list as stable and without errors, but even so, veeam continues to indicate that SQL VSS is missing.

Something that I don't know if it has to do with it is, the SQL server has 2 DB instances on the same server, at first I set an error when trying to back up the second instance, but adding the local administrator account, it was removed and I was left with only SQL VSS Writer Missing

server features:
WS2012 R2
SQLServer 2012

I hope you can support me with your comment so that I can review more, this is my support case 05686708

Note:
the server is added to the domain, the account being used is local administrator built in, I understand, which is correct. Or do I need to add a domain admin account?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: SQL VSS Writer is missing

Post by Andreas Neufert »

No Domain Admin account needed.
Let`s wait what support will find out.

Please check if the VSS writer is at all there:
vss admin list writers
If not it is a strong indication, that one of the databases of one of the instances on the server has a space at the end. It can be from any even old instance that you have installed.
You can check as well if the service is running.
If the SQL vss writer is not showing up in the vss admin list writers area, then you can as well open a Microsoft case, as it is unrelated to Veeam and a general issue.

Some additional details.
https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2020/01/2 ... s-command/
VK-DMX
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Victor Armando Reyes Herrera

Post by VK-DMX »

Hi Andreas.

At first the sql vss writer did not appear in the list, as I said, I changed the service account to Administrator, and with this after restarting the server, it already appears in the vssadmin list writers. I will wait what else I can check from support.
Ioannis.T
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ioannis Tsitsiklis

Post by Ioannis.T »

Hello,
did you managed to find a solution? I have the exact same issue
g-rant001
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by g-rant001 »

Seriously any update on this issue.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I heard from support, that the SQL VSS writer has always been relatively unstable and that reboot solved many issues. So the question would be better placed to Microsoft (we just leverage the VSS framework)

Alternative: we have the SQL plugin since V12 that does not rely on VSS https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120