Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JaquesC
Influencer
Liked: never

Standalone Veeam Replication Server

Post by JaquesC »

Hi there,

I plan on using Veeam replication for all my VM's, and I wanted to know, on my Replication Server, should that installation of Veeam point to the main SQL DB associated with the "Veeam Master" for the backup jobs or should I create a separate DB that will only be for the use of the Replication side of Veeam?

Cheers!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Standalone Veeam Replication Server

Post by foggy »

Hello, are you talking about a separate second Veeam B&R instance that will be responsible for replication jobs exclusively (while the first local Veeam B&R instance will be performing backup jobs)? Then each of the instances should have its own configuration database. Different backup servers cannot share single DB.
JaquesC
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by JaquesC »

Yes that is what I am planning to do, thank you for the feedback much appreciated.

I will have a veeam b&r instance/server that will only be doing replication jobs
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Doing so is actually considered a good practice, as it allows to use Veeam B&R automatic failover/failback capabilities in case of DR.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a small tip - I would recommend installing this server on the DR site. In this case you would be able to run the DR procedures even after losing the entire main site and its backup server.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, if you're after two-server deployment, you might want to install Enterprise Manager sever in order to have visibility across two backup servers.

Thanks.