Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sixth
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Storage i/o Control on a VM - Will it Effect Veeam Backup?

Post by sixth »

Hello All...

Quick question... I have an Exchange 2003 Public Folder mailbox VM that tends to go crazy at some parts of the day in terms of disk i/o utilization. I configured storage i.o control on the VM itself and locked it down to 150iops for now to control it. Will this effect the performance of a Veeam Backup job when it runs? I don't want to effect the performance of my backups at night by turning on this feature....

Thank you!

Jonathan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Storage i/o Control on a VM - Will it Effect Veeam Backu

Post by Gostev »

Hi, with change this in place, VSS freeze (for sure) and snapshot removal (possibly, not sure) may take quite a bit longer. Actual data copy speed will not be affected (no matter which job processing mode you are using). Thanks.
sixth
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by sixth »

Thanks Gostev!! I appreciate the response!
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Just FYI: Please know that when using SIOC and direct SAN mode you will certainly see vcenter warnings telling you that a foreign traffic source was detected. This can be safely ignored if this warning occurs only during your backup window, because it is just vCenter telling you that there is traffic on the san right now which vcenter has no idea where it comes from.
best regards,
Joerg