Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Storage Performance Question

Post by ec-inflxx »

I am wondering if anyone has done any tests with DAS storage. I am using a Dell MD1120 which unfortunately does not have any iSCSI support. So it is directly attached to an ESXi host and is carved up into two RAID10 volumes (since ESXi only has a 2TB limit). I figured this would provide the best speed for backups and I wanted to make sure we could get all of our backups in our window. But after doing some reading and not really liking the fact I can't carve up bigger than 2TB LUNs I was thinking of moving it to a Windows Physical Server and then using some sort of free iSCSI software to share out the LUNs to the ESXi hosts. I like this way because it will be shared storage, and I can have one RAID10 LUN at 3+tb for critical servers, and RAID 50(or 60) 5+tb LUN for non-critical servers. But I am worried the speed will not be as good. Right now I am getting very fast incrementals (some VMs at 2gb/s) and for the synthetic fulls between 450mb/s and like 40mb/s for one of the groups.

If anyone has any input that would be great.

My follow up question would be how hard is it to move backups, etc without disrupting how the jobs run?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Storage Performance Question

Post by Gostev »

Follow up question is answered in the adjacent topic :)
Moving backup files
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast

Post by ec-inflxx »

Ok, great. What if I am changing servers completely? I am thinking of just making this a physical server so I would have to reinstall Veeam and start from scratch.

Is there any guides to doing a restore of the whole Veeam setup so I don't lose my settings and groups?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Of course there is! :wink:

Please have a look at this link:
How to move a job from one server to another w/o messing
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast

Post by ec-inflxx »

Great Thanks!

One last quick question. When chosing Direct SAN all I need to do is install the MS iSCSI intiator and make sure I have access to all the LUNS and add them into there correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This is covered in sticky FAQ topic in greatest details, including step-by-step guide with screenshots. In future, kindly please always try to review the FAQ and search the forum before asking your question. Looking back at this whole topic, these sort of discussions definitely do not bring any value to the community at all. Moreover, they are likely irritate community members subscribed to RSS feed due to having to read through questions which have been answered before many times. Thank you for understanding...
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast

Post by ec-inflxx »

Sorry about that. But I think I now have a relevant question. I have created a Windows 2008 R2 server and I have configured my storage so that this server has access to all of the same datastores as the ESXi hosts have. Problem is when I add the iscsi target and then connect it and go to device manager. I see some of the luns as "unknown" and "not intialized" which is what i figured you would want to happen. But other luns show as "basic" and "online" and I am not quite sure what to make of it.

I was under the impression that you shouldn't initialize when disk manager first comes up and pops up the box with disks to initialize. Or did I overlook something.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, typically they should be shown as "unknown" and "not intialized" (unless of course some of them are formatted with NTFS). In all cases, you are safe with automount disabled by v5 setup. Just be sure not to initialize any disks when asked by Disk Management snap-in. And you may want to remove other users from Local Administrators group to prevent them from doint this accidentally. Thanks.