Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Storage Snapshot - Target Location

Post by ferrus »

We're looking into performance bottlenecks on our IBM v7000 SAN, which have been occurring during the backup window.
One of the observations raised by our SAN support engineers, are the increase in writes and CPU during the Veeam Flash Copy/Storage Snapshot operations.

This may be a long shot - but they've asked if there's the ability within Veeam, of specifying a different target volume for the snapshots.
I can't find anything in the GUI, but know from experience with Veeam support that there's a lot of unpublished registry tweaks - so it's always worth checking.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Storage Snapshot - Target Location

Post by Gostev »

No, definitely not: we don't have any storage-specific settings as it's just unrealistic to have due to the number of storage arrays we support (and the constant changes in them), so all of those should set and managed in the storage management UI.

For example, we don't create or manage NetApp SnapMirror, HPE 3PAR Remote Copy or HPE Nimble Replicated Snapshots relationships - they should be in place already, then we will trigger and use them.

Likewise, I know some storage arrays have settings for snapshot redirection to other volumes, but I don't know if IBM does.