Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MichaelHusbyn
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Husbyn

StorSimple experience?

Post by MichaelHusbyn »

Hi,

Find very little on the Internet (and this forum) about StorSimple (www.storsimple.com), cloudbased storage.

Anybody have experience with this and Veeam?

Michael
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: StorSimple experience?

Post by veremin »

Hi, Michael.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any relevant information with regards to StorSimple utilization.

However, there is an official paper, according to which StorSimple is recommended storage for backup applications, such as Veeam ,etc. So, it means that StorSimple has been tested thoughtfully as a target for Veeam backup jobs, and proved to be reliable solution.

Thanks.
josef.vagner
Lurker
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Josef Vagner

Post by josef.vagner » 3 people like this post

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, Veeam is the recommended solution for StorSimple, which is why we were invited by StorSimple team to copresent at Microsoft TechEd.
Berniebgf
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Bernard Tyers

[MERGED] Veeam & StorSimple

Post by Berniebgf »

Hello,

I would like to know what Veeam's Stance is on the StorSimple product, I have been reading allot of "fluff" on the internet regarding Veeam and Storsimple integration (Partership?) but I am struggling with how these two products would complement each other.

From what I see the StorSimple can serve iSCSI or CIFS (both and multiple instances), not sure if you can "embed" Veeam services into the array for CIFS......
The unit supports de-duplication and compression and can tier to Azure.....
The product supports both local and Azure snapshots...

So my challenges are that there is allot of overlap in product capabilities between the two.... De-duplication, compression, cloud backup and so on.....

Do I leveraging all of the Veeam features and push Storsimple as basic block level storage or do I push the other way (which is Scary).....

Does anyone have any experience with this? Best Practices?

Thanks

Bernie.
Berniebgf
Service Provider

Re: Veeam & StorSimple

Post by Berniebgf »

Ok,

Just found the answer to my question, despite all of the fluff I have found the following.....

In Short: TechEd North America "Use Cases - Not a Good Fit" = "Storage Target for Backup software or DPM" (May 2014)

https://youtu.be/Qzv2L681qn0?t=4010

Mentions Veeam.... but down head down that path yet... Has anything changed since 2014?

regards

Bernie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Bernard, please review the video mentioned above by Josef, would give your more understanding on products integration, as well as some best practices you're looking for. Thanks.
Berniebgf
Service Provider

Post by Berniebgf »

Interesting,

Both of the presentations listed in this thread are from May 2014, both are from TechEd North America, one says use SimpleStor for Backup target and one says specifically not too.

Bernie.
Berniebgf
Service Provider

Post by Berniebgf »

There is mention in the presentation of reference architecture documents, I have searched on google and nothing has come up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Bernard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Berniebgf wrote:Both of the presentations listed in this thread are from May 2014, both are from TechEd North America, one says use SimpleStor for Backup target and one says specifically not too.
Can you please quote the exact phrase that specifically recommends not to use Veeam Backup & Replication with StorSimple? The way I understand English language, both presentations clearly endorse Veeam. Thanks!
Berniebgf
Service Provider

Post by Berniebgf »

Here you go. (Not specific to Veeam Just backup)

https://youtu.be/Qzv2L681qn0?t=4010
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, this is the same link you posted before... I listened it two times and there is no recommendation not to use Veeam Backup & Replication with StorSimple, but rather quite the opposite one: she notes a reference architecture document available for Veeam specifically, as the solution they (Microsoft) want to push.

By the way, I know these documents are still very much alive, as we had a meeting with Microsoft StorSimple team just a few weeks ago regarding updating them for our v9 and their new StorSimple models.
Berniebgf
Service Provider

Post by Berniebgf »

Thanks,

Might be a good move for Microsoft to clear up their messaging a little, still not very convincing words from a general "backup target" point of view.

If anyone knows where this reference architecture document is I would love to know. I have taken as much as I can from the presentations.

thanks

Bernie
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

We have just 'discovered' this today (StorSimple) and most of the references are to a hardware device. Microsoft have (recently) released details of a Virtual Appliance, with detailed instruction on how to install that on either HyperV or VMware (our preference), and how that then links to Azure. It seems that you do need Azure first (as we have already) in order to ask them to provision the service at their end, and then download the VMDK. We have already asked for the service, and will keep this Forum updated as we (hopefully) move forwards.
(By the way, I am not, as far as I know, related to the David Eadie in the first video mentioned above!)
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
bthomas
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernard Thomas

Post by bthomas »

Do you have a link to these detailed instructions?

Thanks

Bernard
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I believe Bob meant this article. Thanks.