Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Post Reply
mroof
Novice
Posts: 8
Liked: never
Joined: Feb 20, 2010 7:20 am
Full Name: Morey Roof
Contact:

Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mroof » Dec 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Things were working just perfectly with v5 but now after my upgrade I'm getting a strange error on about 1/3 of VMs. "Error: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 8." I can't seem to figure out what in the heck is causing this one and I haven't heard back from support (ID#5159844) yet so I was hoping someone on the forum just might know what is going on.

Thanks!

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 24174
Liked: 3301 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Gostev » Dec 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi, I can confirm that this has not been reported yet. But I can suspect this to be an upgrade-related bug. Thanks.

mroof
Novice
Posts: 8
Liked: never
Joined: Feb 20, 2010 7:20 am
Full Name: Morey Roof
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mroof » Dec 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I saw another post about this on when I Googled it in the Veeam forum but now when you click on it the topic is gone. Any idea what happened to the other posts?

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 24174
Liked: 3301 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Gostev » Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

It must have been hit by one of 4 bullets from Missing your post? sticky topic. By the way, please edit your original post to include support case ID before more evil moderator shows up ;)

mroof
Novice
Posts: 8
Liked: never
Joined: Feb 20, 2010 7:20 am
Full Name: Morey Roof
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mroof » Dec 11, 2011 9:06 pm

After working on this issue some more it looks like this is related to how Veeam skips swap space used inside the virtual machine. I noticed that if I watched the trouble VM while Veeam is trying to backup it up it always stops sort of backing up the entire HDD and then when it lists the swap space it skipped the totals don't match. However, on the windows VM's where it does work the totals do match correctly for the space used.

So, far I have removed the pagefiles with the system control panel and then recreated them but at the moment it hasn't helped. I will keep trying on finding a solution. If anyone else finds one before please post it.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 24174
Liked: 3301 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Gostev » Dec 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Don't dig towards Windows page file - to the best I know, the error above is clearly unrelated. Try to create new job and see if it helps.

mroof
Novice
Posts: 8
Liked: never
Joined: Feb 20, 2010 7:20 am
Full Name: Morey Roof
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mroof » Dec 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Did that already. Tried to create a new only for one troubled VM and I get the same error.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 24174
Liked: 3301 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Gostev » Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm

OK, then most likely the issue sits in actual configuration database that was brought over from v5...

mroof
Novice
Posts: 8
Liked: never
Joined: Feb 20, 2010 7:20 am
Full Name: Morey Roof
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mroof » Dec 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Okay, I found the problem!

For me it was because I had a datastore whose name had a "&" in it. Ie, "Disk & Other data Storage". When Veeam would backup the disk it would write everything and then make an xml call. The string it would try to store looked like "[Disk & Other...." and position 8 is just after the "&". So, I bet that even though VMWare escapes such characters just fine there is a spot in Veeam where they are not checked.

For others that are getting a similar issue try removing any special characters you might have used in the names of datastores (maybe even VM names) and see if it goes away. If does please report it so that support can let the engineers know at some point so it gets fixed.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Posts: 22527
Liked: 1475 times
Joined: Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Vitaliy S. » Dec 12, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Morey, non-latin characters are not supported in the product’s installation path; in the backup target path and file names etc. as per our Release Notes document.

Thank you for posting the resolution!

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 24174
Liked: 3301 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by Gostev » Dec 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Yes, but Morey is talking about datastore name. I think this is a bug.

mchapman
Novice
Posts: 4
Liked: never
Joined: Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm
Full Name: MARK CHAPMAN
Contact:

Re: Strange Error after upgrading to v6

Post by mchapman » Dec 12, 2011 3:44 pm

I concur we changed our datastore name to NOT include the ampersand and the jobs we were experiencing the issue with completed without an issue

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jonom and 28 guests