Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lukekenny
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Luke Kenny

Stuck while creating Synthetic Backup

Post by lukekenny »

I have Veeam B&R Community 11.0.0.837 with a backup job that does 3 Windows 10 workstations using the agent. All has been going well in incremental mode running nightly.

I enabled create synthetic fulls which ran for the first time at 2am this morning. It is now 9:20pm.

I can see 4 running jobs:

- Computer 1 at 99% "Creating VSS snapshot"
- Computer 2 at 99% "Finalizing"
- Computer 1 (a second task) at 99% with "Creating synthentic full backup (45% done)"
- Computer 3 at 99% with "Creating synthetic full backup (32% done)"

Those numbers have not changed since I first looked this morning about 8:30am.

The backup target is a NAS with an NSF share. Nothing is happening. There is no CPU or disk use on the Veeam server, and there is no activity on the NAS.

Strangely, the Veeam agents, if I log directly onto those Windows 10 machines, all show the backup job completed early this morning.

What is the correct process at this point?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Stuck while creating Synthetic Backup

Post by PetrM »

Hi Luke,

It looks like a technical issue, therefore the best action plan is to contact our support team. We provide email support on a best-effort basis for Community licensed products. You may paste a support case ID over here for our reference.

Thanks!
lukekenny
Influencer

Post by lukekenny » 1 person likes this post

No worries. I've opened a ticket, case #04724834
lukekenny
Influencer

Post by lukekenny »

When looking in Svc.VeeamBackup.log I see this error every 23 seconds:

Code: Select all

[01.04.2021 22:17:35] <126> Error        Failed to check for invalid job sessions
[01.04.2021 22:17:35] <126> Error        Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (System.NullReferenceException)
[01.04.2021 22:17:35] <126> Error           at Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CJobStatusWatchdog.IsPlatformSession(CBaseSession session)
[01.04.2021 22:17:35] <126> Error           at Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CJobStatusWatchdog.GetAllFailedRunningSessions(CBaseSession[]& leasedOrphanedSessions)
[01.04.2021 22:17:35] <126> Error           at Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CJobsMngr.SafeCheckForInvalidJobs()
Related to this issue perhaps?

These stuck jobs have been there for over 10 days now.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It's difficult to say now whether this error is related to the issue or not. You may ask our support to check this error as well.

Thanks!
lukekenny
Influencer

Post by lukekenny »

I haven't heard anything back from support, but it has happened again. We had a power outage while one of the computers was doing the Synthetic Full process. It is now stuck at 48% in the console. So now there is a 5th stuck job.

Something new too... On the computer being backed up, Veeam Agent won't run, with the error "Unable to complete the action because this agent is centrally managed by your system administrator" upon execution.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The best action plan to address both os the issues would be to ask our support engineers to investigate it. We provide support on a "best effort" basis for customers using Community licensed products but you may try to open a support case once again. Every single attempt increases chances of getting support.

Thanks!
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Luke,

just to clarify - do you face this issue with "Unable to complete the action because this agent is centrally managed by your system administrator" just when you run the Agent? Or maybe you try to configure something?

Did you upgrade your Backup server from v10 or it's a new installation?
If there was an upgrade - did you upgrade the agents via B&R Console? (the updated document version is here).

Thanks!
lukekenny
Influencer

Post by lukekenny »

This was a fresh install of v11, and I recently installed the March update. So it has been updated, but from an initial v11 install.

The error pops up when executing the Veeam Agent - so it pops up when the computer boots, and if I try to execute it manually. The agent does not load, it is not running.

I have not tried any configuration changes yet. Perhaps I should re-scan or do the uninstall / re-install the agent?

I cannot right click and select Stop for these jobs under Last 24 Hours - Running. It is greyed out.

The main job under Jobs - Backup does have a Stop I could click. I think I tried that when the problem first happened, but it didn't clear up the Running queue.

Unfortunately my support case was closed without a response due to high demand.
lukekenny
Influencer

Post by lukekenny »

... and yes, confirming the agents were updated also when I updated v11.
lukekenny
Influencer

Post by lukekenny » 1 person likes this post

.... and I opened a new support case based on the advice above, #04738486. Fingers crossed!
azizm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Aziz M

Post by azizm »

Hey @lukekenny,

Did you ever resolve this? We upgraded to v11 about 6 weeks ago and started getting this issue about 3-4 weeks ago.

We have a case open but haven't made much traction.

Some synthetic fulls complete, others fail around 80-95%.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Aziz,

The mentioned above ticket 04738486 for a free product has been closed due to high support team load. Please open a case and share its ID over here for our reference.

Thanks!
azizm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Aziz M

Post by azizm »

Hey Peter,

My Case #04828235.

We're experiencing issues with creating synthetic full backup using fast clone with 1 SQL cluster (part of a Windows agent backup) and our VMware Backup Copy Job. No issues doing Active Full, but the issue returns.

Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!