Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcapra
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Capra

Stupid Newbie Questions

Post by jcapra »

I've done a bit of GoogleFu'ing and watched some videos on the Veeam Youtube. But one basic thing I am still a bit fuzzy on...

Are the 'agents' client software you install and run within the OS of the machine/VM you want to back up... that then handshakes with the machine that Veeam Backup & Replication is running on?

In our case it is a Windows machine running Veam B&R and I want to backup a Linux VM. Do I install the Linux agent within the Linux VM and then that communicates/transfers to the Windows machine running Veeam B&R?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Stupid Newbie Questions

Post by wishr »

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

Not necessarily. Since it's a VM you may back it up using the VM backup capabilities of VBR. In this case, we interact directly with the hypervisor APIs and there is no need to install our Agents.

Agents are primarily designed for backing up physical machines. They can operate independently or in agent management mode when they are "linked" with the backup server.

Since you are a newcomer, I'd like to share a link to our best practices portal maintained by our system engineers (SEs). It could be a good starting point, apart from our official user guides.

Thanks