Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Suggestion re "Remove deleted items data after..."

Post by DDIT »

[re support case: #02871308]

Hi. Whilst this topic is not directly related to the issue in the support case, it has had a knock-on effect, which is the reason for this topic.

I had a server which was not backing up properly, so contacted Veeam for assistance. After a few days of email back-and-forth a support call was scheduled, but due to a weekend and public holiday in the UK, it took another few days to arrange the call. By the time I was speaking with Veeam we noticed my repository for this backup was almost empty - only a few VRB's hanging around - the VBK had been deleted. I queried this with the support tech and she advised I had 'remove deleted items data after 7 days' set. The description next to this tick-box, and my understanding of it, is that if you delete VM's from this job, then after the set number of days, that VM's data will get deleted from the backup files.

It turns out, it will also delete VM backups which have had backup 'failures' for the x number of days. This is clearly mentioned in the manual, which I was surprised to learn: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

As my server had not backed up successfully in 7 days, it had deleted all my restore points - not what I was expecting! I feel the text description in the GUI for this option needs to mention this behaviour, or perhaps add a sub-option tick-box for "also delete VM's which have had no successful backups" in x days.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Suggestion re "Remove deleted items data after..."

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, thanks for the feedback. Adding description to this check box in UI looks reasonable.