Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Choodee
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sandee Dela Cruz

Supplemental backup solution to tape for archiving

Post by Choodee »

What solution do you have to supplement Veeam for long term archiving to satisfy regulatory compliance eg SOX? I have 8TB of data to archive and on the fence between traditional backup to tape (LTO 4) with Backupexec or something like highrely that will backup to hotswap disks.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sandee
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Supplemental backup solution to tape for archiving

Post by dellock6 »

Never had to comply with SOX or other laws, so I do not knwo the details of it.
At many customers, we use offload to tape if they already had tape systems in place, but I personally prefer to offload full VBK created by Veeam in a remote disk storage system, replicated by rsync or similar approach (we also did once towards Amazon EC2...)
Internally, we replicate at the storage level through ExaGrid functionalities, but we do not have long-term storage needs.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Choodee
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sandee Dela Cruz

Post by Choodee »

I was thinking of offsite replication via rsync or some other similar approach as well. However, that seems to be more of a DR solution and not an archiving solution. What do you do if you get a request to restore data that is 2 years old? Do you just have a policy that says anything older than a month is not recoverable or something similar?

Thanks
Sandee
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

As said, internally we do not have long-term retention (we are a vCloud DataCenter).
For customer requesting it, we can create a sort of GFS backup schema with Veeam, saving the VBK on deduplicated/compressed storage, and customer pay for the used storage. Never had to be honest a restore request for nothing older than 6 month.
If you need that kind of retention, I would go for tape offloading, disk storage are cheap now but the problem is you always have to keep them powered on to use them ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1