Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Lex

Support for OES11 and OES2015

Post by Lex »

Hi,

Are there any plans to officially support OES11 and OES2015?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Support for OES11 and OES2015

Post by foggy »

Could you please clarify, what kind of official support do you mean?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

The main addition to latest releases of SUSE (the starting point for OES) is BTRFS file system, this was added in VBR v8 patch 1 as you can read in release notes (there's a typo I already notified to be corrected, so sorry if a search for btrfs didn's show this page):

Added support for file level recovery from Btfrs volumes (default OS file system in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12.0)

If there are instead other issues you'd like to see supporte, let us know. We do not specifically support linux distributions, it's rather a problem of supported file systems usually.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Lex

Post by Lex »

To do file level backup, you need to install the opensuse 11.3 mlocate. Next to that, nss got backupped, but not the trustees.
That's why i'm asking.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I'm not an expert on Novell services, can you explain a bit what trustees are? By backing up the entire VM, is not something that is saved into our backup too?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Trustees are the permissions and rights systems used by NSS to control access to files and directories. Basically the ACLs. Unfortunately Veeam FLR does not support the restore of NSS trustee information. The best suggestion I know of is to use a pre-freeze script to backup NSS trustee information to a file using metamig. After restoring files you can use metamig to restore the trustee information for that file/directory from the backup information.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oe ... tamig.html

Someone with more NSS experience may know of a better option. I believe it is possible to configure trustee information to be stored in a Linux extended attribute, but unfortunately Veeam doesn't restore those either (for now).